First real attempt as photographing with my new SLR

92 views and 0 replies makes me a sad boy

Sometimes it takes a while! ;) Not bad; #3 would be much stronger if you had either more of the locomotive or more of the varnish in view, but as-is it's sort of hard to determine the real subject. #4, well, okay, you've hard your mandatory go at selective colour; let's never speak of it again, shall we?

Like 1 a lot. The lines wiggle and join, a pleasure to look at.

Sometimes it takes a while! ;) Not bad; #3 would be much stronger if you had either more of the locomotive or more of the varnish in view, but as-is it's sort of hard to determine the real subject. #4, well, okay, you've hard your mandatory go at selective colour; let's never speak of it again, shall we?

Yeah, I have already decided if the subject cannot be made without having to selectively colour it, then it's a crap picture!

Shot 1:

I don't know how I feel about this one. It might well be a photo that speaks to train enthusiasts on some level; however without the viewer having an inherent connection or interest in trains I just feel that its missing something. I think what it might be is the lack of a subject of focus - you've a lot of elements and a lot of parts; but nothing seems to guide the viewers eye or take them through the photo - similarly there is no place for my eye to rest - its flitting everywhere and not settling.
You also have some strong distracting elements such as the large white water tank (assumed) on the right side which is not only in a fairly strong position, but also very bright in an otherwise fairly middle toned shot. Bright points draw our eye and the bright tank draws the eye but offers nothing when it gets there.

Converting it to black and white has probably saved a part of the shot, in colour I suspect the "messy/lack of focus/subject" elements might be even more extreme.

2) At first this photo tries to look like old film (filter), however the modern backpacks; the modern plastic bins; building - it all speaks modern. At that point the sepia magic is lost. There is more focus in this shot than the first one though, you've a subject and setting and scene unfolding - but you've also a fair amount of wasted or distracting elements.

Another point is that the sky is utterly blown out - that point about white/bright light sources drawing the eyes attention again comes to the fore here in this shot where even a short glance at the bright areas leaves the eye distracted and makes the rest of the photo (your detailed subject areas where you want the viewer to look) feel overshadowed and darker than they should.

3) As part of a series of rear ends of train this might work - but its not really "interesting" unless the viewer happens to like details and documented trains and coaches. Again we return to the blown out sky problem of the previous shot in this one. You've a very clear and defined subject, but I think the composition, content and exposure needs work to make it more than a train enthusiasts interest.

4) Ok you've at least done selective colouring right - that is you've taken time to select the box well and mask it off - you've also made sure that the subject of the photo is also the subject of the selective colouring (a LOT of people will throw selective colouring on almost anything in a photo without thinking).

I know many will instantly overlook selective colouring as a weak trick used by new photographers - however I'd hazard that this might be the single strongest shot of your set that you've presented thus far.

As an overall view I'd say that you've got to first put down the nifty filters. Composition is your weakest point and I'd suggest investing time and learning more about compositional theories (don't just read about the "rule of thirds" read MORE and also study good works of art and photography and try to pick out the methods used to draw the eye around the image). Strong composition combined with good use of exposure will make a far stronger photo - you can then blend that with editing methods to enhance what is shown.

Welcome to the forum. I like #1 and 3. #1 has the railroad lines that all run together and editing in B/W works really well. In #3 I like how the walkway leads to the one single person. Gives it interest.

I Dig them , i like No 2 the best , has a war time feal

Most reactions

New Topics

Back