first 'real' portrait session

jemmy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi guys, A tad excited after my 1st 'paid' portrait session :lmao: - , it was for a friend of a friend who saw some photos i'd taken and wanted some of her kiddies. Set up a little 'studio' area and took some outside too. I Was pretty happy with the results and they are coming to view them tomorrow (fingers crossed they're happy too!) Have officially decided i prefer to photograph 'big kids' over bubs and 'one kid' over two!!! God help me when someone wants pics of their five children!!!!!!!!:lol: Here are a few of my faves (there are plenty more!)Any feedback is appreciated greatly! Thanks for looking xxx
#1..hating the wrinkles in the backdrop - added a gaussian blur - does it help at all??
jai1.jpg

jai3.jpg

jai2.jpg

#4... this is my favourite:heart:
kane1.jpg

kane3.jpg

jaikane1.jpg

kane2.jpg

kane4.jpg

I'm still 'playing' with my b&w techniques and not sure that they are that good - shooting in RAW, then converting in Photoshop7 using channel mixer (50,30,20).... any advice on 'hotting' them up??? xxx
I swapped a bit with the shooting modes using Program, and Aperture Priority... Canon 350D with the kit 18-55mm lens - STILL hoping to buy a 50mm 1.8 lens SOON!!!!
All indoor 'studio' shots were taken with natural window light only and outside i used fill flash on a couple xx Looking forward to your feedback!:wink:

You did a marvelous job in my opinion, especially with #2, and the second #3 (might need to change the numbering a tad bit). I am certain they will be very happy with the results. To help smooth out the background and make it appear more white, try playing around with levels some. Great job!

You did an incredible, amazing, fantastic job!:mrgreen: I never feel more joyful in my life than while I am photographing babies and children:) They are my everything. Ahhhh! I have to quit my job though, because I'm struggling financially:(

Peanuts said:
Mind if I post a quick edit of the first with some 'editing' in levels?

Yes i would love you to - only if you tell me how you do it:hug:: All of my pics are ALWAYS ote!! xx would love to get rid of those flaming wrinkles!

Well, I didn't even attempt to get rid of the wrinkles (though I am certain there are many people on here who are more than capable of doing that), but I just used the Levels tool, and 'pushed' the right 'arrow' towards the left to bring out more of the white, and hopefully, create more of a studio lighting feel.

He sure is a sweetie
jai1.jpg

Edit: Oh dear, it seems to appear a tad bit green. Perhaps if I have some more time tomorrow, I will play around with it in photoshop

ElectricHarmony said:
You did an incredible, amazing, fantastic job!:mrgreen: I never feel more joyful in my life than while I am photographing babies and children:) They are my everything. Ahhhh! I have to quit my job though, because I'm struggling financially:(

Im a stay at home mummy so i know what you mean about finances!:( However my yummy:heart: hubby is keen to build me a studio in our backyard soon so i can set up a wee 'home-based business... very exciting - hoping to get things happening before i return to work in 2008 when my youngest princess starts prep. Then hopefully i will have a little 'on the side' business doing what i :heart: L:heart: O:heart: V:heart: E:heart: So i take it you do photography full time? maybe you could make it an on'the'side job? x

You will get successful with your home-based photography business, I am just sure.
Your photos show you have the knack.
The things you manage to get out of a quick make-shift studio situation, mostly what the kids' eyes are concerned (and they are the most important) is amazing.
I am sure the parents are all IN LOVE with your photos now, aren't they?

I wonder, for the first photo, to get rid of the wrinkles, maybe you could crop off a bunch off of the left side, and some of the right. Obviously, don't make it super tight like the second pic, but leave it so that you can still see the backdrop, but since there is less showing it will have less of an effect. Plus, I think the wrinkles show more as you move away from the kid.
I wish i had those eyes... *sigh*

#4 is my favorite too. Its the colors, definately... all the colors work so well together. I used to be in love with B&W and didn't like colored photos much, but my feelings are definately changed with these types of images.

mel02monroe said:
I wonder, for the first photo, to get rid of the wrinkles, maybe you could crop off a bunch off of the left side, and some of the right.
I agree. I'd probably try a square crop. There's a lot of white that's not really doing much for the image.

O THESE are fabulous!!! Way to go on your first session!! very much loving them.. :) Good job

Most reactions

Back