First role of B&W film

Robin, it's a Fuji AX Mulitprogram with a 50mm lens. Honestly don't know what you mean on the ASA 800 and I'm not processing the film. I'm having it done at a local camera store.

Thanks gsgary. I like the HP5 and was happy with most of the photos. That one was a little grainy and I was shocked because it was like 8:00 am in the morning with full sun light from the camera right.

I have 3 more rolls of HP5 and then I may try something else to see about it.

What was it developed in ? this is HP5 in DDX

Sunday%20walk-XL.jpg

I've always preferred shooting film over digital if my finances ever allowed me. I was more selective with my shots whenever I went out and about with film. And once I developed my negatives and made some prints I felt more accomplished about myself. Great photos!

Thanks gsgary. I like the HP5 and was happy with most of the photos. That one was a little grainy and I was shocked because it was like 8:00 am in the morning with full sun light from the camera right.

I have 3 more rolls of HP5 and then I may try something else to see about it.

What was it developed in ? this is HP5 in DDX

I do not know what they used to develop it with. Again, I took it to a local camera store that processes film here in OKC. I may try another local company that processes film here in the City to see how they do with it.

I've always preferred shooting film over digital if my finances ever allowed me. I was more selective with my shots whenever I went out and about with film. And once I developed my negatives and made some prints I felt more accomplished about myself. Great photos!

Thank you.

Ron, shoot it if the film was ASA/ISO 800. But you need to tell the developer to push the developing 1 stop. I find 400 ISO too low for most lower light shots.

Ron, shoot it if the film was ASA/ISO 800. But you need to tell the developer to push the developing 1 stop. I find 400 ISO too low for most lower light shots.

Okay, now I understand. Did the ones above look okay as they were? I was outdoors in the daylight, so I wouldn't have thought there would be an issue with 400 working on them.

No.. but you said you want to try different things.

Nice shots... My favorite of the set is the damn spillway :), the signs are cool too.

If you are developing your HP5 at home it has a huge exposure latititude

It is fine to use at ISO 200 to reduce grain, thats what I do.

Which developer are you using? How much are you pulling it (time)?

Robin, it's a Fuji AX Mulitprogram with a 50mm lens. Honestly don't know what you mean on the ASA 800 and I'm not processing the film. I'm having it done at a local camera store.

Shooting it at ISO800 you are underexposing the film to give it more contrast so you have to tell the lab and they will add time to the developement, there are losts of things you can do with film on a dull day you can underexpose and overdevelope it to give it more contrast and on a bright contrasty day you can overexpose and underdevelope to reduce contrast. there is a bit more to think about than digital :wink:

Ron, for a first outing with B&W film you should be tickled! These are all fine shots. :D Personally, I like grain, but I understand these guys are just trying to get you to see that it can be easily reduced for a smoother look to your images, should you prefer. Either the simple exposure tricks, as gary mentions here, or the use of a yellow filter (or more), helps with contrast. And grain is certainly controlled by ISO (assuming routine processing). Generally for bright outdoors, using 100 or 200 ISO is fine, and indoors or evening outside go with 400 - just like you'd set with digital. You might want to go with a lower ISO for your next outdoors stroll. Regardless, you're lucky to have a lab nearby that gives you fair results like this.

I love your sign shots, too! They have a lot of character. :heart:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back