First Shoot & I need your help/advice

MariClaire

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Everyone,

So, I have offered to do a maternity photoshoot for my friend. I am doing it for free and it's my first shoot EVER. I'm a university student so my budget is very limited. I have a good idea of poses and creative ideas for the shoot, however, in terms of equipment I am stumped. I currently own a Canon T2i with the kit lense, I only purshased it in Nov, and needless to say I am still rather tight on savings from this purshase.

What would i need to make this a sucessful photoshoot, a new lense? Flash?

Any help is appreciated...thanks bunches!

Well, what really is your budget? I would suggest a flash personally, but that may be out of your price range... As they can be pricey.

I would say a flash is probably the most useful item you could add, but if the budget doesn't allow that, than look for reflectors and diffusers. These can be as simple as large sheets of white/light-yellow posterboard and translucent shower curtains. The secret to making this a success will be to find a location with good light. Look for an area(s) that have even light, preferably not to bright, and not dappled.

Good luck!

I really don't want to spend any more the $200 to be honest.

My grandfather was a professional photographer in his day, and I believe he could have a screen and a whole lighting set up somewhere...I'm hoping that he will give it to me..I know it will be on in years..but he keeps great care of things so they could work for me for now.

Not sure where to do the shoot, because of wonderful winter..but I am sure I will figure something out!

Depending on where you are shooting, light might be your worst enemy. If indoors, get her as close to the windows as possible. Open the blinds and all that to get more light in.

For $200, you really cant get a decent TTL flash for the camera. You might want to consider the nifty fifty... a 50mm f/1.8 lens. It is an awesome lens, opens up wide to let more light in (you should gain 2 stops over your kit lens... so a 1/30 shutter in the kit would be 1/125 on the 50). The drawback is the depth of field, which can be very shallow, so you have to nail your focus.

A fast 50 is a must for any photographer shooting anything. The 50 f/1.8 is about $100. The better 50 f/1.4 is about $350. The uber 50 f/1.2 is in the $1500 range.

Look for a flash with E-TTL, since I'm assuming you wouldn't plan on using it off camera right off the bat. There are cheap flashes with E-TTL around, some are better than others. I personally opted for a Canon brand flash for my first speedlite, as the on brand flashes generally have increased functionality and have better build quality.

There has been one flash brand that I've seen lately that's been touted to be good, Younguo (sp?). I don't have one personally, but I believe they have E-TTL and there seem to be a lot of users.

YONGNUO, photographic equipment, camera accessories, flash light, camera remote control, speedlite, photo equipment, LED photo light, flash trigger, camera wireless remote control, TTL cord

Depending on where you are shooting, light might be your worst enemy. If indoors, get her as close to the windows as possible. Open the blinds and all that to get more light in.

For $200, you really cant get a decent TTL flash for the camera. You might want to consider the nifty fifty... a 50mm f/1.8 lens. It is an awesome lens, opens up wide to let more light in (you should gain 2 stops over your kit lens... so a 1/30 shutter in the kit would be 1/125 on the 50). The drawback is the depth of field, which can be very shallow, so you have to nail your focus.

A fast 50 is a must for any photographer shooting anything. The 50 f/1.8 is about $100. The better 50 f/1.4 is about $350. The uber 50 f/1.2 is in the $1500 range.

Do you think I would be better off paying for the lens, or up-ing my budget and getting a flash? All of this is a little confusing for me, as I am new to the DSLR world, It's a bit of a learning curve I must say!

In terms of location, I was hoping we would shoot in her condo, it has stunning windows, with tons of light, I think it might actually work out well. If it were summer we would be outside, but It's just not an option at this time of year.

Well, this isn't going to be the most useful response, but my recommendation depends on what kind of shot you're trying to get. You can go for a bright image - for these I prefer lots of natural light, reflected or diffused as needed (some good, cheap suggestions above). Or you can go for a darker image, where you're concentrating on illuminating only select curves, which can be done with something as simple as a lamp with an open bulb and some of those same modifiers. Either way I think you can probably do without a flash at this point. My generic recommendation would be to go with the nifty fifty and a tripod (to help stabilize should you use the kit lens, which you may for the wider angle). You won't get a top of the line tripod but for this purpose I'd say it'd be sufficient.

Just saw your last post, which reminded me of a point I had wanted to make anyway. If you can shoot in her place (and it sounds like you've "scouted" it), that's a great option. She'll probably feel more comfortable there (which shows in the images) and they'll have just that little extra familiarity which makes them more special.

I would suggest not spending any money at all on equipment, with the exception of DIY reflectors. What you need is knowledge. Specifically photographic lighting and how to do photography knowledge.

Since you are in Canada, outside will be quite cold for doing a maternity shoot, so you're best bet is an indoor location.

Indoor you have to be concerned with the type of lights there are (tungsten or flourescent) so you can set the correct white balance in the camera. Mixing window light with indoor light can be problematic because they have different color temperatures. Better yet is to get a good gray card so you can set a custom white balance in post processing. Do you have image editing software?

The direction windows face has a lot to do with the quality of the light they provide. This time of year the Sun is low in the southern sky. Thin window coverings can be used to diffuse any direct sunlight from a south facing window, a east facing window in the morning, or a west facing window in the late afternoon. A north facing window will need no diffusion and will provide the most consistant light during the day unless there is a significant cloud cover change.

Just saw your last post, which reminded me of a point I had wanted to make anyway. If you can shoot in her place (and it sounds like you've "scouted" it), that's a great option. She'll probably feel more comfortable there (which shows in the images) and they'll have just that little extra familiarity which makes them more special.

Yes, thats what I thought as well! I have been there as I was her makeup artist for her wedding, and found it a great space to work in because of all the natural light!

All light is natural light and is made of the same thing - photons, though many people use the term natural when they really are describing available light or window light.

I would suggest not spending any money at all on equipment, with the exception of DIY reflectors. What you need is knowledge. Specifically photographic lighting and how to do photography knowledge.

Since you are in Canada, outside will be quite cold for doing a maternity shoot, so you're best bet is an indoor location.

Indoor you have to be concerned with the type of lights there are (tungsten or flourescent) so you can set the correct white balance in the camera. Mixing window light with indoor light can be problematic because they have different color temperatures. Better yet is to get a good gray card so you can set a custom white balance in post processing. Do you have image editing software?

The direction windows face has a lot to do with the quality of the light they provide. This time of year the Sun is low in the southern sky. Thin window coverings can be used to diffuse any direct sunlight from a south facing window, a east facing window in the morning, or a west facing window in the late afternoon. A north facing window will need no diffusion and will provide the most consistant light during the day unless there is a significant cloud cover change.

I have Photoshop as editing software, still new at usuing it but am working on it!
Her window is north facing and covers the entire length of the condo, the are large windows as well, She has both blinds (which pull up) and soft white curtains which I think would work well for diffusing light, should I be wrong about which direction her window is facing

What I've done for my last few maternity shoots at a client's place was not use any of the indoor lights (as mentionned, balancing indoor and available can be a pain). If the place has big bright windows, use those only.

I actually re-arrange some of the furniture to get the shots. Dont have her do it, this is where the husband comes in :)

Hope for a nice bright sunny day that will allow lots of light in the house. I shoot typically around 1-2pm.

Here is a link to my last shoot a few weeks ago. Shot in their house (hadnt scouted it before, but it worked out great). Mostly shot at ISO 200-400, f/2.8 - f/5.6, 1/60 - 1/125 shutter

The bright background was from their patio door providing a big point of light. ISO 400, f/2.8, 1/80 shutter. Shot was taken around 2:30pm on a bright day
MaudeIan_Mat-18 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

(Sorry for the hijack, but...)

All light is natural light and is made of the same thing - photons, though many people use the term natural when they really are describing available light or window light.

Unless you mean "natural" in the sense of "having a real or physical existence, as opposed to one that is spiritual, intellectual, fictitious, etc." (definition 8 on dictionary.com) - in which case my camera is just as natural - then you are wrong. "Natural" in the sense of "existing in or formed by nature ( opposed to artificial)" (definition 1) applies to available or window light but does not apply to man-made light, whether that be from a lamp bulb, a strobe, or a laser diode. Yes, light from these artificial sources behaves similarly to natural light (photons do act like photons, however they are generated). But how they act on a scene (and hence, your camera's film or sensor" can vary. Light from a laser diode (a vary narrow wavelength band) will illuminate a scene differently than sunlight, which contains many wavelengths. This distinction is actually even practical, not just theoretical, as it explains some of the difficulty in balancing available light and flash lighting.

I see your posts all over this forum and respect most of them, so don't think this is a personal attack. Just trying to correct misinformation...

(Getting off my soapbox now...)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back