First shoot, looking for some C&C please

slapshotmedic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello, this is my first post after a few days of lurking around here. I recently bought a Cannon T3i and have been trying to learn the inner workings, I have thumbed through the manual but I am more of a hands on learner. I have been doing sample shots playing with different settings and I think I am on my way to understanding what settings work with which situation I am attempting to capture. Here are a few shots from my first shoot I am looking for critique on. Please be as honest as possible as I wish to learn. These have no editing done to them. Thank you for looking and your comments. I also want to apologize about the last picture, I am unsure on how to rotate it so it is displayed correctly.

Attachments

• $IMG_0340.jpg
    $IMG_0340.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 128
  • $IMG_0365.jpg
    $IMG_0365.jpg
    959.1 KB · Views: 122
  • $IMG_0378.jpg
    $IMG_0378.jpg
    809.4 KB · Views: 115
  • $IMG_0407.jpg
    $IMG_0407.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 146
You need to read the manual several times despite the fact that you're a hands on learner.

Indeed, and this is coming from a "hands on learner". Your camera is a tool, unless you understand it, know what it is capable of, and know how to utilize its capabilities, you won't be able to maximize it, OR YOUR potential. The manual is a valuable asset, especially since there are many bells and whistles that you NEED to read about in order to understand.

You can learn stuff as you go, and do all the experimenting you like, BUT, it is hard to build when the foundation is weak, or unsteady. Read the manual, read these forums and take it all in, it will ultimately be beneficial to you and your photography.

As for the shots posted, they are just kind of "snap shotty", nothing that really jumps out to grab attention, or draw the eye to it. I DO like the locker shot.

I've moved this C&C request thread for you, per the Beginner's forum description.

Plus there are so many other aspects of doing photography to be learned by reading.

A fair amount of that reading will be both artistic and technical in nature too. Things like how to control a digital exposure by reading the image histogram on the camera's rear LCD. ETTR - Expose To the Right - ETTR

Last edited:
Even though I'll be a redundant raccoon by mentioning this again in such a short time, may I recommend you keep your T3i (nice choice by the way) in full auto? There may or may not be mention of the rules of a good photo listed in that manual. I'd like to refer you to my signature as well.

I'm not a professional by any means. I am, however, a hobbyist. The biggest item I can recommend is to learn about composition first. The mode of the camera is moot until you learn how to place your subjects in frame properly. Reading through the manual is a good thing, don't get me wrong but knowing all the cameras functions without the bare basics of compositions, you'll still take "snapshots".

Here are a couple links to help you get started: Composition: Using the Rule of Thirds | Making the Most of Natural Light in Photography

Good luck with your kick-ass camera. I have a lowly 1000D but I know I could pull off nice photos with my android phone as well. I may not be able to achieve some shots with it but I know that the kind of shots I can do with it will be really nice looking.

Looking forward to seeing more progress. Welcome to TPF!

Last edited:
Besides what they said, a couple of things.

Look at your 'subject' and decide what you are shooting at and for, then compose and alter your camera settings to maximize the impact of what you are seeing.
None of these shots really have any specific center of interest where my eye can rest and where my mind knows that you are looking at this also.
Look at this 100% crop of the first one.

It's out of focus.
What were the settings?
You shot at a very high sensor sensitivity - iso 3200 and a high shutter speed 1/1300 and a small f stop, that should have given you a good depth of field.
But still it is out of focus.
You need to understand whether a high iso is worthwhile, and what f stop is best for this kind of stuff and if your shutter speed was appropriate.
That's not 'hands-on' stuff; that's reading the manual, doing some background work and actually learning something.

IMG_0340ll.jpg

I do agree with all of the above. The best way to learn is to read websites and books and as much as possible, and THEN go do your hands on stuff. You need a good amount of the two. I'm not saying that you can take good photos by just reading about it, but you absolutely need to read about some techniques and tips and tricks.

None of your shots really catch my interest. They just exist.

I was exactly where you were; I took pictures of everything because I just saw everything as being worthy of a photograph. I was so excited to show off my 'amazing photos' to everybody. In reality, however, very few things turn out to be worthwhile and it takes experience to know what is and isn't. I can tell you, I still - Out of a 100-shot session - I might end up with 10-15. They're all okay at the time, but I make a point to revisit my shoot about ten total times later to get rid of everything that is short of amazing. It is just a matter of finding what works. Plus your portfolio looks infinitely better if it is 50 amazing shots compared to 4,550 average ones in addition to those 50 amazing ones.

But yeah, reading techniques and tips is amazing. I never would have learned the biggest trick ever; taking shots outdoors immediately after a rainstorm when the sun starts to come out. Everything looks BRILLIANT. It is how I learned about different types of lighting, exposures, everything. I also took some photo classes with film back when. Photography is something you can't just pick up well. You need at least some background before you can develop your style.

Best of luck! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back