First Shoot with My Cactus Triggers: C&C!

JackRabbit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Did a shoot with the two of the most amazing and cool people you will ever meet in your entire life. Never a dull moment when they are around. Also, this is the first time that I took my soft box to do a shoot outside AND it was my first shoot with my new Cactus triggers. I've never gotten the chance to do a shoot outside in broad daylight where I was able to incorporate flashes so it was definitely a learning experience.
I'm not expecting critiques on all of them as there are quite a few. More just general tips for improvement if you don't feel like leaving critiques for each individual picture.

-------
4376313829_32fb59e7fe_b.jpg

-------
Here's one I picked of Hannah for her eyes. Her eyes are that awesome ALL the time. Like, I didn't do anything to alter her eyes. This one was all natural light.

4376271321_b81384902d_b.jpg

-------
Another of Hannah.

Strobist: Canon 430EZ shot through softbox, subject left (4-5 feet), 1/4 power

4376271311_804a15e76f_b.jpg

-------
We took this one to showcase her new shoes. They are specially made, custom ordered TOMS (*end poncy voice*).

Stobist: Canon 430EZ shot through softbox, subject left (4-5 feet), 1/4 power

4376271297_38d79f5eaf_b.jpg

-------
Another of Lauren and her cool new shoes.

Strobist: Canon 430EZ, shot through softbox, subject left (4-5 feet), 1/2 power.

4376271269_ba3e50a871_b.jpg

------
Here is one they did together.

Strobist: Canon 430EZ, shot through softbox, subject left, 1/4 power

4376271257_ff18164cbc_b.jpg

-------
I liked this one because of how the path looks. It really has that feeling of stretching for forever.

Strobist: Canon 430EZ shot through softbox, subject left, 1/2 power

4376271083_5b46721596_b.jpg

BONUS
-------
OK not really a bonus, just ANOTHER picture I took of myself ahaha. On this one, I was real sick and stuck at home and bored so I took this.

Strobist: Canon 430EZ shot through softbox, subject left (2 feet) at 45 degrees in front, 1/8 power

4361966421_85b1d8da7d_b.jpg

Add me as a contact on Flickr! Flickr: jackstrutz's Photostream

Last edited:
the bottom couple (with the exception of your self portrait) look a bit dark to me. I'd also check your White balance on those they look a bit green.

Cool shots. my favorite is the third pic. The posing looked a bit awkward in the first pic IMO and her hand in #6 just throws me off the way its stretched out.

I like them otherwise though. looks like fun. Cool setting too.

Edit: oh yeah self portrait was cool to. The blue shirt brings out your eyes in a very cool way. Nice job.

I'm seeing a lot of shadows and the faces in general do not seem to be lit up very well

4 and 5 are lit well but 6 is sort of distracting because only one is lit well

your shots are improving though!

Yes, now that you pointed it out, I can definitely see that the bottom two are a touch underexposed. I fixed that and took a bit of green out of both. Anyone else?

Do you only have one flash? As mentioned, there are a lot of shadows on the faces. Perhaps if the sun was out, the flash could have been positioned at the subject's right?

Do you only have one flash? As mentioned, there are a lot of shadows on the faces. Perhaps if the sun was out, the flash could have been positioned at the subject's right?

No, I have more than one flash. I only have one softbox though. Also, I try to keep my lighting setups as simple as possible so that I don't have to travel with a lot of stuff because I don't have a car to carry everything in.

Makes sense. If your comment above this one was directed at me, I wouldn't say that they were no good. Reducing the shadows would step up the quality of the pictures, in my opinion.

No, I have more than one flash. I only have one softbox though. Also, I try to keep my lighting setups as simple as possible so that I don't have to travel with a lot of stuff because I don't have a car to carry everything in.

I honestly don't see shadows on the faces... I see them in number 1 and number 6 but I don't think that they really detract from the photos too much. At least not in number 1 (I can see how the shadows are a bit strong on the girl standing in number 6). However, overall, I don't think they take away from the picture. I could be wrong because everyone usually thinks their photography is better than it truly is (which is why most people post their pictures up for critiques), so I appreciate the feedback.

Hmmm, where is Derrel and IgsEMT? They always give such good feedback ahaha.

Haha. Very true. I'm not one to give advice on improving pictures, I'm just stating what I would like to see.

Wow great pictures, specially 3 and 5th picture are really great, You will have better in future, keep on improving

Most reactions

Back