First shots with DSLR

JR Productions

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've always wanted to get into Photography just never had the funds. I just wanted to start off entry level and got a D3000 last night. I took this one this morning. I just used Aperture Priority mode and took it quick. Will play with it more this weekend for sure.

C&C Ladies and Gents!

4646913601_427676fced_b.jpg

Nice light and nice DOF. Good job on your "first" photo. Next time, you might want to try and catch the flower on an angle to make the scene a bit more 3-Dimensional. I've found a key to getting good/great photos is being able to shoot objects at angles that you wouldn't just pass by at.

Good luck with your new gear!

Good start...next time you can try with F22 and fill-in flash from the side and you will be amaze :)

-Santacruz

Thanks guys!!!

Its actually like the 20th Picture taken with my First DSLR. but it was my "first" artistic one. the rest were just random garbage around the house. Just a kid with his new toy.

I know nothing about ISO and perfect Aperture yet so this was just a First timer. I have always TRIED to do amazing things with my Point n Shoot 7.1 Kodak but always failed..... haha.

The blurred background helps isolate the flower, which wouldn't happen if you used f/22. F/22 would also have required a much longer shutter speed and would have opened the chance of softened focus from camera shake.

However, a kiss of flash would definately have made the flower standout even more against the dark background. Say 1/16 power in manual mode at that distance so the highlights on the petals remained.

The yellow bud in the background is a little distracting and had you moved 1/2 an inch or so to the right would have been hidden by the flower petal.

Last edited:
Excellent thank you. Didn't really notice the yellow bud until you just mentioned it.

I agree with KMH..I wouldn't bump the ap. up to f/22, you would lose your shallow dof.

Take time to learn what everything (ISO, Aperture, etc) on your camera is and does and you'll be a better photographer for it.

I agree with KMH..I wouldn't bump the ap. up to f/22, you would lose your shallow dof.

Take time to learn what everything (ISO, Aperture, etc) on your camera is and does and you'll be a better photographer for it.

Oh I plan on it. I just didn't get home with the Camera until 930pm so couldn't really do much. Could barely sleep last night so I woke up this morning saw the opportunity and took it.

Good start...next time you can try with F22 and fill-in flash from the side and you will be amaze :)

-Santacruz

WHy would you want the background in focus on this shot? I like it how it is, except for composition, otherwise a good start OP.

What would you have done differently with the composition? Just curious.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back