first shots with the sony

paigew

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.paigewilks.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
New camera got delivered at 11:30 am and it took until 6:30 for the dang batteries to charge....torture I tell you! Anyway it's 100% completely different from my canon, but I went through adjusted some custom settings and braved the mosquito infested outside to test it out. I also got a new lens...85 sigma art so these are all shot with that. Shot these pretty wide open so I could see how sharp it was....IMPRESSIVE!!!

(I usually don't bring my dog outside this time of day b/c she chases deer...she was being exceptionally uncooperative)
F1.8 iso 100 1/640
paigewilks.comDSC00063.jpg

same settings.... f1.8 DAMN thats sharp!!!
paigewilks.comDSC00067.jpg

tough shot b/c it was super windy. the sony has SO many af choices I need to play around with them and see what they all do. Also, such great dynamic range in those highlights!
f2 iso 100 1/800
paigewilks.comDSC00048.jpg

f2 iso 320 1/320
paigewilks.comDSC00118.jpg

The look ok.

The look ok.

ha! I mean they are not amazing shots. It was completely awkward using the camera for the first time. I kept missing shots because I was trying to push buttons that weren't there. I didn't even know how to change ISO at the time (I found it out for the last shot but had to use the menu...I set custom buttons when I came inside) :)

I shot these all in 20 minutes, also at a focal length I've never shot at before. They are sharp wide open and that is my main point :p Not award winning photos lol!

The vivid edit would never have allowed me to think these were yours. I have gotten used to your matte finished photos. These look very sharp. Nice colors.

Congrats on your new camera! I like the 2nd one best. The oof grass looks very nice. Which lens did you get? You posted on another thread about knowing your 5D and fast on switching in manual. I'm the same way with my 5D. When I added the Fuji it was a new learning all over again to change things fast. When I switch cameras now it only takes a few minutes of shooting to get the memory back. Does the Sony allow to preview via the viewfinder? I wish the Canon had that feature especially outside.

The vivid edit would never have allowed me to think these were yours. I have gotten used to your matte finished photos. These look very sharp. Nice colors.
Thank you! My editing tends to be dependent on my mood sometimes :p

Congrats on your new camera! I like the 2nd one best. The oof grass looks very nice. Which lens did you get? You posted on another thread about knowing your 5D and fast on switching in manual. I'm the same way with my 5D. When I added the Fuji it was a new learning all over again to change things fast. When I switch cameras now it only takes a few minutes of shooting to get the memory back. Does the Sony allow to preview via the viewfinder? I wish the Canon had that feature especially outside.

Yes it is SOOOO different! It feels tiny, and awkward to hold. I keep changing the ISO instead of aperture, and I turned off my camera three consecutive times when I was trying to adjust the shutter speed HA! All in all though, I do love it, I am getting used to it and trying to shoot every day with it! I have my first session Sunday and then next week I have 4 days of shooting so I guess I'll know if I love it or hate it after that! The Sony does have the preview via viewfinder...>SO NICE!! I love the viewfinder in general, it's like a lit screen! This weekend I hope to find a video detailing all the different focus modes because I really want to take full advantage...you know ;P For lenses, I got the sigma art 85 and it is AMAZING. I can't believe I waited so long for this focal length!

So. it's been over a week now ... what do you think of a Sony mirrorless ?
I think it's a keeper! New shots below :)

all photos shot with 85 sigma art.
1. lantana ...f2.2
paigewilks.com_DSC0365.jpg

2. taco the dog, enjoying the fall breeze (actually he's prob thinking about running off ).... f1.8
paigewilks.com_DSC0416.jpg

3. red flower ...f2.5
paigewilks.com_DSC0450.jpg

4. these are all at Pedernales State Park in Texas. All these were f2.8
paigewilks.com_DSC0514.jpg

paigewilks.com_DSC0518.jpg

paigewilks.com_DSC0536.jpg

paigewilks.com_DSC0572.jpg

paigewilks.com_DSC0573.jpg

paigewilks.com_DSC0582.jpg

10 (GOATS ON THE LEDGE!!)
paigewilks.com_DSC0595.jpg

11. My kids do not enjoy me taking their pics anymore, but my daughter was super sweet to give me 3 seconds for this photo so I could test out the Eye AUTO FOCUS MODE...so awesome! (f.2.8)
paigewilks.comDSC00241.jpg

12. strange flower, my kids call it the demogorgon flower (f2.5)
paigewilks.comDSC00266.jpg

The Sigma 85mm art is a great lens! I've seen photos from that lens on a FB photo group. Enjoy your new camera and lens!

But which Sony camera?

Great shots! Very nice
:icon_biggrin:
I used Sony for the past 5 years and had great luck with the equipment holding up and their lens lineup getting better and better.

Most reactions

Back