First studio shots.

MatthewKern

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I made a little studio in my room using the stereotypical white sheet, and I asked my girlfriend if I could take some photos of her... this is what I got:

lwany3.jpg

lwany2.jpg

lwany1.jpg

I think they look very professional too. Your girlfriend is very beautiful and looks like a natural in front of the camera. The only thing I want to comment on is the clothing choice in picture #1. I am a huge fan myself of those empire waisted shirts/dresses but you have to be careful because they tend to make you look much larger than you really are. I think it might've helped a little to position her in a more 3/4 view or even a profile. I do really like her expressions in all of them though! Great job:)
Oh, I also wanted to ask. What did you use for your lighting?

AprilRamone said:
I think they look very professional too. Your girlfriend is very beautiful and looks like a natural in front of the camera. The only thing I want to comment on is the clothing choice in picture #1. I am a huge fan myself of those empire waisted shirts/dresses but you have to be careful because they tend to make you look much larger than you really are. I think it might've helped a little to position her in a more 3/4 view or even a profile. I do really like her expressions in all of them though! Great job:)
Oh, I also wanted to ask. What did you use for your lighting?
Thank you, and yeah. I agree, those types of shirts tend to make women look larger than they are. I personally am not a fan of them, but I like seeing her in anything, so I didn't mind. Next time I'll try a more 3/4 shot. Thanks. And to answer your question on lighting I used one flash bounced off of the ceiling in the first one, and then for the other two I bounced it off of the white cube that she is sitting on in #1.

I am really drawn to the second one. Nice lighting, pose, clothing, etc, etc, all make this a great shot! You have a good eye for lighting, it's not easy to get these results when you are just starting out! Great job!

They look are really well done. No shadows the lighting is lovely and even plus here skin has a nice glow great photos :thumbup:

Overall really good stuff. Poses are a bit (just a little bit, not much!) awkward in a couple shots.

Lighting is even, but very flat. That's not a bad thing, as that's a trend that seems to be gaining popularity in portraiture. Try playing around with the lighting now that you've got the basics...work with the interplay of light and shadow.

Really good shots for a living room studio. As a matter of interest what lighting did you use ? diffusers, reflectiors etc. It might help the rest of us if you could share it :hail:

Cheers CJB

skylark said:
Really good shots for a living room studio. As a matter of interest what lighting did you use ? diffusers, reflectiors etc. It might help the rest of us if you could share it :hail:

Cheers CJB
For the first one I used one flash, and I bounced it off the ceiling above her (I had to shoot it horizontal and then crop it, because the flash was on top of my camera, and I don't have any radio slaves or sync cords). Then for the other 2 I shot them vertical and used the thing that she is sitting on in #1 to bounce/diffuse the flash. Settings were as follows:

#1: 18mm 1/200th @ f/8
#2: 31mm 1/125th @ f/4.5
#3: 24mm 1/80th @ f/3.8

Most reactions

Back