First Test shots J1

coastalconn

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I got my J1 and FT-1. First thing I was shocked it actually works with my Sigma and both Teleconverters. I was even more shocked just how zippy the AF system is in this little camera. I wasn't particularly impressed with sharpness though. Of course I was just kind of hanging the set up out my window for a few test shots. It does seem to confirm that something is slightly off with my 1.4x TC. I wasn't really paying attention to where my zoom was so the numbers are pretty goofy. There doesn't seem to be much crop ability although there is some. I used a higher level of sharpening then I normally would have. Not really sure if it adds that much to my setup, but some further testing is needed. Metering seems pretty good. It is also quite interesting having 7 pounds of lens strapped on to a tiny camera without a viewfinder.. How does it look on your end?

1 No TC, 270mm, F3.5, ISO 100 1/1600th
Testing Nikon J1 Sigma 120-300 no TC by krisinct- Thanks for 1 Million + views!, on Flickr

2 1.4x TC 380mm F5, ISO 100 1/1000th- This looks awful to me...

Testing Nikon J1 Sigma 120-300 1.4x TC by krisinct- Thanks for 1 Million + views!, on Flickr

3 2x TC 550mm, F5.6, ISO 100, 1/400th

Testing J1 Sigma 120-300 @ 550mm by krisinct- Thanks for 1 Million + views!, on Flickr

4 2x TC 550mm, F10, ISO 180, 1/250th

Testing J1 Sigma 120-300 @ 550mm by krisinct- Thanks for 1 Million + views!, on Flickr

I'd be thrilled with those, especially 3 & 4 :thumbup:

I'd be thrilled with those, especially 3 & 4 :thumbup:
Thanks Bill. I did some quick tests and I'm not sure if it actually gives me much advantage over the D7100. Having a hard time deciding if I should keep it or not. Guess I need to do some more real world shooting with it..

Very interesting, but the bokeh is horribly weird on all but the second--I'm assuming it's a manifestation of the over-sharpening (or more than typical)?

Best,
Jake

At the very least have it in your car at all times for a just in case situation.

Very interesting, but the bokeh is horribly weird on all but the second--I'm assuming it's a manifestation of the over-sharpening (or more than typical)?
Best,
Jake
Yes sir, you are 100% correct. I was expecting more feather detail and I got less, perhaps it the AA filter causing blur. They are oversharpened for sure.. created havoc on the bg.

At the very least have it in your car at all times for a just in case situation.
My D7100 always travels shotgun :) takes up the whole passenger seat with the Siggy 120-300 attached :)

I think the converter is what's taking the edge off of these. You're right, the latter ones do not look very crisp.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back