What's new

First time C+C, be gentle

Heretotherephoto

TPF Noob!
Joined
Nov 30, 2009
Messages
97
Reaction score
0
Location
Massachusetts
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Thought it was time to be courageous. I have been working with the GIMP editing software on curves and saturation a little as well as cropping some for composition. Any advice is appreciated.


1
500_Wall.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/heretohere/new_england_black_and_white

2
http://www.pbase.com/heretohere/new_england_black_and_white
300_Chain_Link_Snow.JPG

3
http://www.pbase.com/heretohere/wildlife
600_Tufted_Titmouse.jpg

These are some from the last few weeks. Not a lot of editing just enough to get it to where I pictured it when I took it.
 
Last edited:
Anyone else having trouble seeing these? If so any tips how to get them up?
 
not sure why. i can copy/paste and get them to show up but they are pretty low res in the linky. try another host?
 
They are WAY over-exposed....I mean I can't see them either! :lmao:
 
Looks like you're using Pbase to upload your photos (I viewed the source code). Don't you have your own website? If so, why not put a folder in your '/images/' folder called 'posting' or something like that. Then you don't have to worry about Pbase problems?
 
Okay they are on my site now although not visible to visitors yet. Generally I get them onto Pbase or Flickr first just because its quicker but I guess they have to be on the site to do this.
 
HeretoThere...in terms of concept I think they're all great. However, I do think #'s 2 and 3 need to be a little bit brighter. They look underexposed to me, especially the bird's face =)
 
#1 - leading lines lead you into the frame and to the right to... nothing. The in-focus part is the darker part of the image. The eye is drawn, naturally, toward the lighter part of the image and you're helping them there, not the opposite direction which I think was the intention. That being the exception, the tones are quite pleasant and a good range. I would personally make it more contrasty but that's an artistic choice.

#2 - Interesting eye for the abstract and the patterns. Might have been a shot to take with a much wider DOF. Also, it's underexposed.

#3 - Needs a small amount of color correction. You'll retain the blue but the blue on the snow should be lost a bit. Probably just a small temp hike in a post-processing program. Good isolation of the subject. The background is blurred but not busy. Also nice use of angles in setting up the subject.
 
Thanks,

I may go out again tomorrow night and try to re-shoot #2. I like the concept but need to work on the DOF. Maybe a higher ISo will allow a wider aperture. Also will try a little more exposure. I tend to underexpose. I think this is opposite of what most advise in shooting to the right on the histogram.
 
With my camera, the only time I shoot right is when I'm up above 1600 ISO. With many of my normal subjects (very saturated flowers), I'm frequently shooting left and boosting in post as things like reds tend to blow out. Shooting to the right is a trick to have in your bag, not an absolute.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom