First time C&C

Xander

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, we just got a D40 and we have been snapping TONS of pics. We got the standard lens and the 55-200mm VR lens as well. Here are some pics that we've snapped....

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

favMedium.jpg

fav2Medium.jpg

DSC_0144Medium.jpg

Thanks in advance :)

1) and 2) suffer from distracting backgrounds. Take shots outside, to get rid of the unsightly background, and also to get more flattering lighting (especially in mornings, or early evening, when the light is warmer and not as harsh). Try and refer to the rule of thirds, to make your composition more pleasing. 2) isn't in focus, as well.
3) and 4), the deer aren't quite in focus, and the twigs and branches in the way are distracting. Try to get closer, I know it's difficult, but then the deer will fill more of the picture, giving you less wasted space.
5) I like, but you have a difficult situation here. You have the sky, which is bright, and the snow, which is white. Your light meter exposes for a grey: when you point your camera at a white wall, it does all its calculations expecting a grey one, so you need to increase the exposure in order to accurately show the white. Likewise, when you have a black wall, you have to decrease the exposure.
So, in this scene, to get the white of the snow, you have to increase the exposure. This, however would have blown the highlights in the bright sky, meaning you lose detail (you have actually blown the highlights in the sky a little). You could have waited for the sky to darken a little (I guess this was close to sunset) or used a neutral gradient filter to selectively darken the sky, but not the snow.

Anyway, well done, and it looks like you've got some beautiful scenery to try out your camera on!

i like the third picture. i agree that the branches are a little distracting but hey-- its nature--and since you are in a wooded area it would be hard to get around EVERY branch/obstacle and its not like you can ask the deer to stop, go back, and step in front of the branches.

congrats on your D40. thats what im savin up for

I like the 3rd picture the most, but to me it looks like all AF points were used and that confused the heck out of camera trying to get all the trees in focus.
I would switch to central AF point and make sure it rests on deer's head, then half press the shutter button to lock or use AF lock button - whatever your camera is set to lock the focus and recompose to your liking

Most reactions

New Topics

Back