First time fireworks.

Big10

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This was my first attempt at shooting fireworks. Had to shoot over the top of an old beer plant. I shot in manual mode with 100 ISO with remote shutter.
I played around with my aperture from f7 to f18 in some places. I think some turned out ok. I was having trouble with some blowing out in the middle. Not sure if I was holding down my shutter long enough or not. I have one more show that I would like to shoot.

I have not edited anything, what the best way to get rid of the smoke?
If you would like to edit some, that is fine with me.

Firework70001.jpg

Firework110001.jpg

Firework150001.jpg

Firework160001.jpg

Firework120001.jpg

Here are some that I did not like. Did I not give enough shutter time?
blowout0001.jpg

blowout10001.jpg

blowout20001.jpg

Thanks for your time.

Nope the light source moves. Shutter time decides how far the trails will go, but not since the light doesn't come from the same spot it does not influence the brightness, just like the camera flash.

If you are blowing out in the middle there are a few variables. Firstly were there too many fireworks? In this case a shorter shutter time would have prevented the later fireworks from being in the shot and blowing out already light portions of the image. However if many fireworks were the intention of the image then you would need to bump up the aperture or reduce the ISO (if possible), to prevent a blowout.

Also note that not all fireworks are equally bright. No fireworks are easily predicatable. At every firework event I always shoot literally hundreds of images, and come away with less than 3/4 good ones (in the frame, and the right brightness), and far less than half which I consider truly good.

Nope the light source moves. Shutter time decides how far the trails will go, but not since the light doesn't come from the same spot it does not influence the brightness, just like the camera flash.

If you are blowing out in the middle there are a few variables. Firstly were there too many fireworks? In this case a shorter shutter time would have prevented the later fireworks from being in the shot and blowing out already light portions of the image. However if many fireworks were the intention of the image then you would need to bump up the aperture or reduce the ISO (if possible), to prevent a blowout.

Also note that not all fireworks are equally bright. No fireworks are easily predicatable. At every firework event I always shoot literally hundreds of images, and come away with less than 3/4 good ones (in the frame, and the right brightness), and far less than half which I consider truly good.

I agree there, take as many photos as you can, with different exposures and different times and you will come up with about 1/2 or 1/3 great or good photos

Most reactions

New Topics

Back