First time in manual mode...C&C please

Tallullah

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, this is the first time I've ventured seriously into manual mode. Still completely clueless, (I've read and studied what I can online) but this is just me playing around till it looked okay. (Understanding Exposure is on its way from Amazon as we speak :sexywink:.)

But in the meantime, here is my feeble, feeble attempt...SOOC/handheld.
I know its not the most interesting photo, I was just wondering how I did choosing my own settings.
(hope its not too small)

3293234584_81135cf4bd.jpg

ISO 800
F 6.3
1/197
7:54 AM
Kit lens
(I probably didn't post the EXIF data right either...)

pretty good. And the EXIF you gave us is enough. Maybe you could try lowering the ISO and the Shutter Speed, since the subject is stationary there wouldn't be any motion blur, and lower ISO means clearer picture.

The trick to understanding what you're doing is to be able to explain why you picked each setting. So, why did you pick each setting that you did?

tsaraleksi:
Well, the ISO I used was from a chart in my camera manual. It was overcast when I started taking the picture, and I forgot to lower the ISO when the sun came out. As far as I understand it, less light > higher ISO, more light < lower ISO.

The shutter speed I just played with till it looked alright, plus I didn't want the shutter speed too low because I don't have a tripod yet and I was afraid of camera shake.

Jaszek:
I should have remembered to lower the ISO when the sun came back out. And I really need to get a tripod so I can use a slower shutter speed without everything looking just a little out of focus.

Thanks for the comments!

I really like your picture. The colors are nice though I think the crop is a little tight. Keep playing with the settings for now. It doesn't really matter if you are not sure why you pick a particular setting as long as you look at the EXIF after the fact and can understand why that setting gave you a good picture. With time, you will get better at picking the right settings and you will know why you picked them. I haven't gotten there yet but I'm working on it.

BTW, I still always forget to change the ISO. I have some pictures that I really liked that were taken on a trip to CA with my husband (it was a statue of Gen. Patton and his dog). The I left the camera on and the ISO changed while bumping against my stomach as I walked. It was a bright day and all the pictures were taken at ISO 800. They are sooooo noisy!

Samanax:
Thank you so much for the link! That site makes it a little easier to understand. It is now bookmarked!

MACollum:
Thanks for the advice and encouragement...it helps to know that I'm not the only one who forgets to check the ISO!

Hi Tallula

I think your photo is great.
It would be interesting to see how it comes out with the widest aperture and another with the smallest, combined with different zooms, also from a different or uncommon angle.

I'm also learning and after reading a lot(equipment, light, etc.) I have just checked how to take photos on manual mode, but just took some shots here in my office and haven't got out to really test it.

I did read a lot before finding how to shoot in manual...:x
I would like to know how did you learn to shoot in manual with your Camera?

So far, what I have checked, of the 3 elements of exporsure, the last one to change would be the ISO and it seems that if is possible to use 100 the better for image quality.
Therefore, when pointing to the subject, and the metter says is over-exposured one can choose to stop some light by either closing the aperture or increasing shutter speed. Either one works...
but, depending of the situation or the desired effect it'll need to be a specific combination.

I'm really considering to purchase some book(s) but also I'm checking which other ones can I add to "Understanding Exposure".

Salutes
:thumbup:

Giorgio

Most reactions

New Topics

Back