advice for manual photography, please

You did not mention a budget for purchasing ... many pick up the Sony 35mm as it is not very expensive.

Thank you both! Do you happen to know if B and H ships USPS? I don't trust UPS for anything expensive.

Unfortunately, I don't really know enough about the hobby to know where to go for the used market. Local camera shops are almost all gone.

Thank you so much for being very patient. We all have to ask a bunch of questions when entering a hobby.

My grandfather had an old Minolta XG1. Comparing the two, the lenses are much different. Darn!

You did not mention a budget for purchasing ... many pick up the Sony 35mm as it is not very expensive.

I didn't want to spend more than 300, (I would have just bought the 3400 and expanded later)., but I really would like some zoom. Looks like the 300 one would do, unless I can find a used one.

Perhaps a dumb question, but are accessories for the SLT-A77 also compatible for the SLT-A77V? For when I upgrade to a hot shoe flash, perhaps the AC adapter, etc. I want to avoid nasty surprises by ordering the wrong thing.

Last edited:
A77 and A77V is the same camera concerning accessories ... I think the V represents an internal GPS.

B&H has it on backorder and never seemed to update. I ordered the lens via Adorama.I had to go through UPS, which I wasn't thrilled about, but I did a dry run at B&H and Fed Ex was the only option, which is even worse for home delivery (FedEx = nightmare).

Both UPS/FedEx have a scheme where one has to jump through hoops for Saturday delivery. Wouldn't want that, when people are actually home! FedEx is great for business delivery, but is an absolute nightmare for home delivery pickup.

I'm looking forward to actually perhaps being able to use my alpha 77. I'll be experimenting
with an LED light ring as well.

If it actually takes halfway decent pictures, I can practice manual photography.

I'm looking forward to actually perhaps being able to use my alpha 77. I'll be experimenting
with an LED light ring as well.

If it actually takes halfway decent pictures, I can practice manual photography.

It can ... I know.

Dxqcanada, do you happen to have any advice as a Sony user on disabling flash in manual or P modes, respectively? P mode looks intriguing. Having it both auto and being able to adjust ISO.

I also enabled RAW + jpeg. It's easier to have some idea of whether the photo turned out before I open the converted DNG in Photoshop.

Do you mean the built in flash or one attached to the hot shoe or attached to the flash sync port ?

The attached flash. According to my paper manual's chart, no flash is not available in the modes other than auto. Insane! I remember now, that was one of the factors which further frustrated my manual attempts in the past.

The P-mode should be good; best of auto with best of manual - auto but can control all the exposures, etc. But of course the flash has to fire! This probably shouldn't be a problem indoors, but with middling to bright light, it makes no sense whatsoever. Surely Nikon and Canon both have no flash in manual.

It's very illogical where the Auto mode has more user-controls than the manual mode.

Thank you, I'll root around and download the pdf version. It might be easier to read than the tiny paper copy.

My goal is to perhaps get this thing to get fairly decent (at least not grain city) auto pictures, and put money aside for a decent Nikon/Canon. I would have so many other options for accessories, and save money in the long run.

I've been watching youtube tutorials. Froknowsphoto has some entertaining and informative lessons.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back