First time out with a DSLR! Please C&C

floppydisque

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So my dad has had a DSLR for a while and this is my first time taking it out. Please be harsh and let me know what needs to be fixed and stuff thanks.

1stUCSBSummer08134.jpg

1stUCSBSummer08170.jpg

1stUCSBSummer08090.jpg

1stUCSBSummer08061.jpg

1stUCSBSummer08047.jpg

C&C per req:

1. I'm afraid this image doesn't do anything for me. Technically, it's acceptable with regard to focus and exposure, but there doesn't seem to be a discernable main subject.

2. This would have been a really nice texture image, but for the soft water and blown areas toward the lower RH side.

3. This image is slightly over-exposed and could use a little more saturation. Additionally, always 'straighten' your images so that the water appears level. In this case I'm afraid it's going to run out onto my keyboard. As far as composition goes, you've got all of the interest in the lower 1/3 and nothing in the upper 2/3. I would suggest a recrop placing the lily about 1/3 in from the LH edge, and removing most of the empty water at the top. Additionally, the use of a circular polarizing filter will reduce or eliminate those reflections.

4. Technically this image is fine, good exposure, nice contrast and saturation, but, what's the subject? You have a bit of a call-box, a bit of an umbrella, some wall, and a bit of wrought-iron work. Variation is good, but always try and have "all" of one thing in your image.

5. Not bad, two issues: (1) The vertical jar upper right seems out of place, and (2) when your working with shiny, reflective surfaces, always clean them thoroughly beforehand.

Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary.

~John

Thanks for the help, tirediron, I really appreciate it.

For number 2 is there any way to fix that in photoshop? (sorry if it's something simple, but I don't have access to photoshop yet).

For number 3 I did use a circular polarizing filter; is there any other way to fix water from doing that?

And for the last one, is it possible to remove reflections from the glass jars with a filter or anything like that?

Number 2 is wet sand, but it kinda does look like pavement, though.

Thanks for the help, tirediron, I really appreciate it.

For number 2 is there any way to fix that in photoshop? (sorry if it's something simple, but I don't have access to photoshop yet).

For number 3 I did use a circular polarizing filter; is there any other way to fix water from doing that?

And for the last one, is it possible to remove reflections from the glass jars with a filter or anything like that?

-Sorry, out of focus is out of focus, is out of luck. Nothing you can do about that.

-Okay, don't take offence, but do you know how to adjust a CPOL? I can see no polarizing effects whatsoever on that image.

-The best way to eliminate the reflections is through positioning of lights and camera so that they're not captured.

I didn't even know you had to adjust the filter, so I guess I don't know, lol. I'm assuming then, that you have to turn the filter (I was wondering why I could turn the filter after I put it on haha) to a certain degree to polarize an image? I'll be sure to do that from now on.

Thanks for your help, again.

I didn't even know you had to adjust the filter, so I guess I don't know, lol. I'm assuming then, that you have to turn the filter (I was wondering why I could turn the filter after I put it on haha) to a certain degree to polarize an image? I'll be sure to do that from now on.

Thanks for your help, again.

Polarizing filters work best when used with the lens axis at 90 degrees to the angle of the sun, and lessen from there. What that means is that the ideal situation is to have the sun hitting one of your shoulders as you shoot. The effects are also more pronounced when the sun is lower in the sky. This image: http://www.rthtg.net/john/crete/Buildings2_5x7 (Large).jpg I took earlier this year in Greece shows just how pronounced an effect a CPOL can have on the sky in optimum conditions.
So, put your CPOL on your lens, compose your shot, and slowly turn the front elment of the filter around until you see the effect you want. If you don't seem to be getting the strength of effect you want, look at your position relative to the sun. Is the sun very high in the sky (ie close to noon)? Then the effects will be less. Are you shooting towards or almost into the sun? The effects will be minimal to nil.
I suspect that if you'd rotated the filter around, you would have seen those reflections disapear almost completely. This image: http://www.rthtg.net/john/crete/Red_rowboat_5x7 (Large).jpg shows the effect of correct CPOL adjustment on water reflections.
Hope that helps.

Thanks, tirediron, your explanation makes much more sense than what I found through google. I'll be sure to do more experimenting now, thanks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back