First time Photographer (plz help)

basic jammer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
HI,
I decided to buy me a DSLR to make a few bucks at work with all the partying going on and that's about as far as i can do my thing. as you can imagine, parties of low-middle class income earners are not that hype and often require only the cam with the inbuilt flash.

My GF's friend asked for our help to shoot her younger sister who's interested in modeling. I have no idea what i am doing. I have not been to any photography school or taken any lessons. not mention putting together a portfolio. what goes into a portfolio anyway?

Here's a few pics: please tell me what to do

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

bwhectorpieterson.jpg

posterpark.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

Last edited:
look up the rule of thirds and try and incorporate that into your shots.

1. the composure and angle are both very boring. Try something a bit more playful. Think of what you are trying to convey with your image and then use that as inspiration for how you set up your shot.

2.Far to much back lighting. Try not to shoot with sun lit windows in the background as they will always get blown out to white.

3. She just looks stunned. Like she has been blinded and is now recovering. Talk to your Models and make them feel comfortable. Also the statue in the back ground is very distracting from the main subject. Perhaps if you opened your aperature very wide, decreased the ISO and shot with a faster shutter speed it would blur the statue more and make it less distracting.

4.Not really sure how to critique this one, except for to say, throwing filters in photoshop at a photo rarely helps a bad photo. If you are going to use photoshop, make it useful and guided. Have a reason to edit and convey a feeling with your editing. For some really good tutorials visit Photoshop Tutorials and Flash Tutorials - Tutorialized I learnt almost all the basic thing I know from that site, and I have been employed as an editor numerous times. Just ease off on the photoshop, and remember you are a photographer :)

5. Pose is central and unappealing. The location is so cluttered, try keep it simple. The house, rubbish cans, and street behind her are all very distracting. If in doubt keep it simple! Also focus seems a little bit off.

Overall If this is your first DSLR shoot, then not too bad. But a long way to go until their any more than snapshots. Spend time getting to know how to control your camera, and even though its often boring, take still life photos like their is no tomorrow. It doesn't use anyones time but your own and you will learn how to control light well.

Anyway if you read all that, im surprised :)

Best wishes for future,
Dave.

Thank you Dave. Advice well taken. Guess I have to get me a manual on photography basic rules before I go for stuff like this. Looked up on them rule of thirds: Damn!:meh:

#1 Like the concept of the background.

I love the punch of color in #2.

I like the statute in 3, even though it's blurred. It's moving.

#4 Nice color palette when it come to the outfit. Would like to see the original.

#5 is just fun.

I think you are doing great. You're not giving up. I'm a beginner also... I'm sure I haven't graduated from that state yet. :lol:

Keep it up.

Hey! Where in SA are you from?

I suggest you get Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson, it is a good book on understanding the relationship between aperture, shutterspeed and ISO

Put your camera on manual and learn to work that and endeavour to get it all right in camera and not to rely on photoshop... Read, read, read, learn, learn, learn and shoot everyone and everything, but make it clear that you are starting out and rather underpromise and over deliver.

HTH

@Yemme : Am never giving up. thanx for the vote of confidence.

@Anelle: I'm in Gauteng. Pta-Joburg. Thanks to all your replies. I'm a shy dude myself and would rather stick to taking snapshots of party animals, lol.
Anyway, I'll have a look at the book you mentioned, thank you.
I'm thinking of convincing my GF to take classes. Any advice?

please read more photography Tips then take a picture :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back