First time Prom

SuggaMonsta

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My best friend and I have created our photography business together and have done very well so far. This week we were asked to shoot prom for one of our small schools. The entire school has like 100 students from pre-k to 12th so pretty small.. we are figuring like 10 seniors 10 juniors plus dates. This is our first prom or anything similar and are looking into suggestions on pricing and packaging. Also any other suggestions as to how to make it run smoothly would be great also. She is the one who will be shooting the the posed pictures and we will both be shooting the candid shots.. She is using a Cannon Rebel. Thank you so much :)

This is our first prom or anything similar
Before discussing suggestions on pricing and packaging, my first question to you would be are you up to the task? Professionally, are you comfortable that you are capable of shooting something like this? This will have a lot to do with what you should charge, whether you should charge at all or whether you should even be accepting the gig.

yes we are up to the task, yes we are gonna charge, no professional photographer goes and shoots pictures and then gives them free unless it is for charity or an awareness event or something. It isn't like we have never taken photos. My partner has been taking pictures for years, she just did it in a photography studio. We have been doing our own photography "freelance" for a year now. This has opportunity just has never been opened up for us. We live in a smaller town with even smaller schools around it and have been giving this awesome opportunity to shoot at her daughters school. Every business has to have their firsts and this is ours. We have our own pricing and packaging for our studio clients but we don't think it is appropriate for this occasion.

This is our first prom or anything similar
Before discussing suggestions on pricing and packaging, my first question to you would be are you up to the task? Professionally, are you comfortable that you are capable of shooting something like this? This will have a lot to do with what you should charge, whether you should charge at all or whether you should even be accepting the gig.

Bingo. You don't want to go ruining prom photos for those kids.

Canon - Click!. Cannon - BOOM!

Business 101 teaches that any kind of business that doesn't price based on the business' non-reimbursed expenses (cost-of-doing-business - CODB) don't often stay in business long.
CODB is a also a number needed to ascertain if a business is actually making money, or not.
No doubt, you have to be sensitive to the region that comprises your market and to the fact that you need to price for a fairly specific group if you want all 20 couples to be able to buy your package.

To a large degree pricing and packages would be similar to doing sports T&I (Team & Individual). In fact, with 20 couples that is how I would recommend it be approached.
A group shot of all 20 couples, the couples individually, and candids.

Mom & Dad might want a wall size print. The kids will want wallets, or something like accordian minis.

A small white board and marker each couple (or an assistant) writes their name on can be used. Have the couple hold the board and take a photo that can later be be used to identify them.
I would try and get the posed shots as they arrive. You could help manage the flow since there would be less chance for candid shots early on.

We have our own pricing and packaging for our studio clients but we don't think it is appropriate for this occasion.
What would that be and in what way/s would it not be appropriate for this occasion?

She is using a Cannon Rebel.
What model? An older model will have much different specs (capabilities) than say the T4i. A run down of your gear (lenses, strobes, diffusers, triggers, etc.) and /or a link to your past work will help us get an idea of your capabilities and therefore better help us to suggest how to smoothly handle this event.

Most reactions

Back