First time shooting fireworks with a slow shutter

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've shot fireworks before but only casually - without a tripod and with a fast shutter speed. This was my first attempt to actually "shoot" fireworks. These were all shot with the XT2 and 18-55mm @ f/10, 6.5 seconds, ISO 200. I used a dehaze slider in Affinity and bumped the clarity, saturation and vibrance just a tad.

I think I did ok and have some do's and don'ts noted for next time. I want to lift the shadows a bit but that brings out the smoke. I'll try later with a mask. The cityscape could be sharper. It was very breezy by the water. Tried to block it as best I could by standing on that side of the tripod. Next time will bring some weights for my tripod. Also apparently I've lost my remote shutter so had to manually shoot these.

Would love some feedback/critique and also any processing tips you may have. Thanks.

Harbor lights by SharonCat..., on Flickr

That structure in the water is very distracting. Good exposures. Good framing.

That structure in the water is very distracting. Good exposures. Good framing.

Agree! I got there in the dark and didn't even know if was there until the show started! No time to move and when I tried to frame it out I lost all of the water. I will probably try to clone it out of my favorite shots. Next time I will be going further to the left so I can get the fireworks to the right of the clock tower.

Very nice set..............

Thanks.

structure is the only thing I see as an issue.

Nice set
Amazon did some nice deals on remote triggers at one time, may be worth a look.
My canon comparable one cost me less than 5GBP

super successful!

Nice set - I think your edits later to remove the structure in the water were fine improvements!

pretty rich, saturated color. From time to time I have had smoke problems too. Perhaps as was suggested above a shorter exposure is the key to avoiding smoke. I really don't know.

That structure in the water, it's called a dolphin,and is designed as a place for large boats and ships and barges to moor to. I really do not mind it, since I am pretty familiar with seeing them here in the Columbia River.

super successful!
Thank you sir!

Nice set - I think your edits later to remove the structure in the water were fine improvements!
Thanks! It was much easier than I thought. I used the "inpainting" tool in Affinity Photo to make them disappear.

Looks like you've toned the smoke down, good work.
I think I've got that mostly solved. Snapseed brush to burn -10 did a nicer job than the same tool in Affinity. Was good to compare the 2. I think some of the smoke gives them a more interesting look so wouldn't want to remove it all...

Beautiful work
Thank you Ed.

pretty rich, saturated color. From time to time I have had smoke problems too. Perhaps as was suggested above a shorter exposure is the key to avoiding smoke. I really don't know.

That structure in the water, it's called a dolphin,and is designed as a place for large boats and ships and barges to moor to. I really do not mind it, since I am pretty familiar with seeing them here in the Columbia River.

Thanks! A dolphin? ok good to know! It did draw the eye so I got rid of it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back