First Time With a Light Set Up, How'd I Do? a Few for C&C

PatrickCheung

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
haven't posted here in a while, so i figure i should get some feedback on the stuff i've been shooting lately. today I found an ikea lamp in my house and decided to shoot with it. this is the first time i've ever used a lighting set up. i think it turned out okay, a little TOO dark i'd
say.

Note: edited pictures

4132072525_72cbaa4be6_b.jpg

4132836478_71d2fe0a83_b.jpg

Last edited:
Underexposed and a little noisy.

It's a good idea to start with a continuous light source (like a lamp), to get the particulars on how light behaves. However (and I don't know if you did this or not), there is NO reason to turn off all of your lights. You can leave a few lights on to help you get some directional light, and use your understanding of aperture and shutter speed to control the direct ambient light hitting your "subject". I would imagine, that the light fall off for a desk lamp is going to be severe, so take advantage of the directionality of that little dome surrounding the bulb, and bring it in closer so that you aren't underexposing your subject.

it's awesome that youre exploring the endless possibilities of light.
it will become a whole new world for you as you figure it out...

that said, gotta agree with the consensus here. def needs more light.

thanks :p will definately try again tomorrow :( now back to my chemistry labs :(

Last edited:
They don't necessarily need more 'Light'.
They are a bit under exposed, so they could use more exposure.
Also, there is a lot of 'dead space' around the subject and the composition isn't exciting. Try getting closer or at least cropping closer.

I don't mind that only part of the object it lit.
Rule of thumb: To make something more interesting in a photo...only light part of it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back