First Try at B&W

CanadianMe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I thought I had posted this, seems I didn't or I posted in somewhere else lol. Anyway this is my first attempt at B&W on my new DSLR camera. I have a certain liking for B&W, the last time I did photography it was all Film and B&W. I would like to do more as I get to know my DSLR better but here is my first attempt. Constructive C&C is welcome, thanks for looking.

2311724956_e2c3c5516c_b.jpg

I think the fact that the shot is black and white works to the shot's advantage, but the right side of the shot is just too busy for me. The composition just seems a bit busy and chaotic to me.

Cropped version.

2311182327_562b2e0933_b.jpg

Well, how did you do your first digital black and white photography then? Did you take a colour photo and convert it later in post processing software, or did you set your camera to taking only a black and white photo? If so, then I must say your camera produced a really pleasing result! I am not quite so happy with the photos taken in the b&w mode of my camera. Oh! Hang on! I never ever tried to put the dSLR into b&w :shock: ... so actually I don't even KNOW what directly taken b&w photos would look like :oops: ...

Anyhow, this looks pleasing, and it shows that you have honed your "eye" for black and white photography in earlier times.

With regards to its composition, I am not too happy with neither the first nor the second version, but then that is purely subjective and may go past all YOU had in mind for this photo. But I personally feel the "busy" part is the main subject, whereas the frozen lake is "only" the context, and if that is the case, then I feel there is too much context there, and the subject is moved quite far to one side.

I honestly think you over cropped it, Yes the first is busy on the one side of the vessel or building on the far end of the dock but not too much in my oppinion. In the cropped copy you have cut into the dock and thrown the balence off.

I my self would only crop out some of either the ice or the sky and only a fraction of the the busy side, I'd only go as far as just removing what stubs (IE Boat hull and lamp) are at the edge of the frame.

Would it be alright with you if I throw together demonstration of what I mean?

i like it the thing on the ice and the thing in the top right are distracting though, use healing tool

The cropping job was horrible, I just lopped it off lol. It throws the whole photo out of whach. Thanks for the comments.

I honestly think you over cropped it, Yes the first is busy on the one side of the vessel or building on the far end of the dock but not too much in my oppinion. In the cropped copy you have cut into the dock and thrown the balence off.

I my self would only crop out some of either the ice or the sky and only a fraction of the the busy side, I'd only go as far as just removing what stubs (IE Boat hull and lamp) are at the edge of the frame.

Would it be alright with you if I throw together demonstration of what I mean?

Sure go ahead love to see how you would do it, this PHOTO is OK to crop. Would like to see how others would do it. Thanks.

Right-o.
So this would be more towards my idea of composition ... which is pretty --- erm --- normal and boring, I'm afraid:

CanadianMe_2311724956_e2c3c5516c_b_.jpg

Right-o.
So this would be more towards my idea of composition ... which is pretty --- erm --- normal and boring, I'm afraid:

It does get rid of some of the extra and the slight trims works for me. Now I have somewhat a better idea what it does in B&W I can spend more time thinking of the Composition of the photo. For my first B&W photo in over 20 years I can live with the result lol. I am very happy with the B&W photos I get from my Camera now I know if a photo fails it is not the Camera but me . :D Had been curious what quality I would get because I still would enjoy doing B&W as I would doing colour. I am going to go over what Colour photos I have and see if some might be worth trying to convert to B&W. Just one more thing to try out. I think I can really like this hobby with all this new technology cameras have these days.

What is really cool also, is I know exactly where you took that shot. I can't wait for the warmer weather and go to the island again.

What is really cool also, is I know exactly where you took that shot. I can't wait for the warmer weather and go to the island again.

I was waiting for summer also, but the Photo Meet up group I met went last weekend, so it got me over there at a time I would not normally go. Many of my photos will be very familiar to those who live here and some who have visited.

Looking to break that habit though and get shots of the City others don't know. In time I hope.

Ok Here are My thoughts

Same aspect ratio
cropcap.jpg

resulting in
Imageremoved.jpg

Different aspect ratio
cropcap_2.jpg

Resulting in
Imageremoved.jpg

They are not perfect but they are just to show you what I had in mind all in all it's still your call ;).

I may have over cropped the bottom of the second one but....

I like the first crop better, a slight crop does seem to fix the image. Thanks for pointers in cropping and composition.

Most reactions

Back