First try at panning

KreGg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Today I just tried my first shot at panning pictures. I had fun with it, though I took around 200 and came back with just 4 or 5 where I could keep the cars or motorcycles sharp enough... hehe

Anyway, what you think of this one?

Any tips on cropping it better or so?
Btw this was tougher than usual, since I was shooting it on an angle, from my apartment balcony.
Next time I will try to go on the same level as the cars.

35it84i.jpg

Still haven't quite got it...for proper panning, the car should be sharp, however, it is still a little fuzzy here. Not sure what speed you shot this at, but you might want to consider increasing it. Depending on the speed of the car, shutter speeds on 1/1000 or 1/2000 may not be unrealsitic. Keep on trying, I do think that you are on the right track...HTH.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Thanks WesternGuy
This was shot at 1/8. The cars were not really speeding, due to a stopped old truck just a few meters after. I guess they were going around 50-60km/h.

I tried going above, with 1/30 or faster, but i thought the shutter was too fast for getting a nice background blurred.

Did you crop a lot of the photo? If you did, that is the reason 1/30 isnt blurry enough. If you actually really zoomed in, 1/30 or 1/40 is plenty slow.

this one is 1/60 and the car wasnt even that fast
p651354960-4.jpg

hmmm strange...
I did not do much cropping, just a tiny bit. And I had my lens zoomed in at its most, 75mm.

My settings were 1/8, 2.8 apertures and ISO 100 on the 75mm end. I was probably around 30 meters or so from the cars...
I will try with 1/60 or 1/30-40 and see what I get.

Do I have to turn the camera very strong, like fast? I think I tried doing it more smoothly...

No, you just have to make sure the subject is always on the same spot on your view. Take this for an example. I took this with 5 second shutter. I stayed still and always on the same spot of the frame because the camera is moving with me.

p309010693-4.jpg

Thats a really cool picture Schwettylens.
Yeah I know I gotta keep it in frame, but with 1/8 shutter speed, I have to keep it in frame more time, thus turning the camera more smoothly.
With faster shutter speeds, then I just need to turn it much faster, and still keep the subject in the same part of the frame.

thanks for the links jake. Gonna have a look.

KreGg, lets say you are shooting a car going one direction at 50mph. Doesnt matter if you shoot with 1/8 or 1/60, your panning should be the same because you need to track the car. The faster the shutter, the less error you might have (but less background blur). So you still turn it as fast on either scenario.

No, you just have to make sure the subject is always on the same spot on your view. Take this for an example. I took this with 5 second shutter. I stayed still and always on the same spot of the frame because the camera is moving with me.

p309010693-4.jpg
It's all blurry and stuff...

KreGg, lets say you are shooting a car going one direction at 50mph. Doesnt matter if you shoot with 1/8 or 1/60, your panning should be the same because you need to track the car. The faster the shutter, the less error you might have (but less background blur). So you still turn it as fast on either scenario.

Hmm true.
I guess what I was thinking of was having to track the car for less time, with a fast shutter speed. But got confused.

Hey I tried some new panning. I think I got it better this time. See what you guys think:

2v0g3sk.jpg

nqobcy.jpg

lol looks like the guy is wondering "Why is that guy taking my photo?"

Most reactions

Back