First try at panning

Still not quite there. Proper camera holding technique is huge for panning. Elbows tucked up under you, stand with your feet shoulder width apart, knees slightly bent, etc. Same stance as a golf swing, or batting stance. Don't be afraid to grip the camera harder, don't treat it like a delicate flower here, you need to really get a good grip on it, and use your elbows and face as 3 point of contact to hold it still against your body. When panning, DONT move your feet, it's all in the hips and waist. Smooth, steady rotation. Have the camera on continuous shooting mode to get multiple photos during the pan, and FOLLOW THROUGH. Start following the subject a few seconds before you plan to start shooting, and then keep panning with it after you've taken your last shot. Just like shooting a gun, or a golf swing. Follow through is key. Sometimes 1/200th of a second is more than fast enough to get a good blur, it depends on how fast the subject is going, how far you are from them, and how far they are from the background you are trying to blur, among other things.

Here is a shot I took over the summer at 1/125th, subject was going MAYBE 20 mph:
Photo-10-of-10-XL.jpg

Heres a Drawing of the corner (I know, I'm a real picasso):
i-Cp9j7KV-X2.jpg

Thanks Destin, that's a lot of good advice there.
and nice shot you've got there. Gonna try those techniques soon.

I like panning as well, but i tend to go for the more controlled environment. I use a rig to get it as close as possible to achieve the look I want. now i just have to work on my post edit. I tried posting a pic along with my reply but not sure how to do that. just keep shooting and you'll figure it out.

I think you've got the idea, just keep practicing.

The very first decent photograph I ever took was a panning shot (I didn't even know that's what it was called... I just wanted a photo of my favorite NASCAR driver lol). It's a lot of fun once you get the hang of it :)

125 mm with a 70-200 1/20th sec @f25 steady hands, elbows against body
Just a shot I took of one of my old co-workers going by near where I live.
Yes folks, I used to drive these things.

86pan.jpg

Ok, im back and i figuered how to post a pic. like i was saying...it all depends on what you are trying to catch in motion. I rig up my cars so I have more control. I saw your photo you posted and while there in no wrong way of shooting i always prefer to shoot facing the driver door just incase i want to include the driver. best of luck to you and hope we helped. Happy shooting.

6522881339_58bf417365.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

125 mm with a 70-200 1/20th sec @f25 steady hands, elbows against body
Just a shot I took of one of my old co-workers going by near where I live.
Yes folks, I used to drive these thi

86pan.jpg

excellent work. that is a prime example of a panning shot. i applaud you sir.

Most reactions

Back