First Try Fine Art in Motion on Film!

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well hello all, it's been a while ;)

So, I finally took my film camera out with me in the van to try out my Fine Art in Motion methods on film. Then I got all scared to develop it because the thought of blowing my first try was killing me lol I finally womaned up and developed it and it turned out ok! I learned some things, like I want to try this in colour, very few of the set are in black and white for a reason, the colour so often adds a lot to the image. So here are the first try on film, I'm pleased with them despite seeing room for improvement, I can't wait to try again now! I'm having issues with my editing computer so these are untouched, straight from the scanner dust and all lol

img141 by Judi Smelko, on Flickr

img131 by Judi Smelko, on Flickr

img128 by Judi Smelko, on Flickr

like the second sorta. Like the third the best (could be personal taste). First i agree on the color. It looks a little busy.

Hey Bri :), thanks! I agree they are quite chaotic and the colour will help :)

I like the last one, with the roadway and the gentle curve...kind of speaks to the "way" these things are shot. overall though, I am craving seeing a bit more blurring, more feeling of movement. Such a tricky thing though, getting the right shutter speed based on speed and focal length/magnification.

I like the last one, with the roadway and the gentle curve...kind of speaks to the "way" these things are shot. overall though, I am craving seeing a bit more blurring, more feeling of movement. Such a tricky thing though, getting the right shutter speed based on speed and focal length/magnification.
Especially on film. I give her credit for giving it a shot.

I agree D, I was a bit conservative with my shutter speed and I wish the same, I also wish for more simplicity. If you look at the top right corner of the second shot I think that's about where I want to be with black and white, simplify!! I think capturing the motion will be easier with the colours and on a day with less dynamic range.

Last edited:
I agree...colours add a lot of clues or visual cues...in B&W it's pretty much mostly the degree of edge smearing/blurring that gives the visual cues...it's actually an interesting point that you bring up, but I'm not surprised that you bring it up, since this is sort of one of your specialties.

I myself think this is a very interesting way to make photos. It sets your work APART from that of 99.99% of other shooters. This is a totally underexploited niche. Your work with this methodology has already garnered you a show, and even a second show!!! Wat I like about the third photo is the feeling of being "on the road to somewhere". That photo has a timeless quality to it...just the snowy, sloppy road, and trees...could be anywhere, at any time, 1950's? 1960's? 2010's? I like that about it.

Aw, thanks so much D :) Honestly I think doing what I'm doing is satisfying the treasure hunter in me. I love doing all kinds of photography and I know exactly what I'm going to get most of the time. When I'm shooting in motion I kinda know but there is that serendipity that happens that has yet ceased to amaze me when I first lay eyes on a shot, sometimes it's like discovering a treasure, I guess I kinda do it for selfish reasons first and foremost lol, that others enjoy it is just icing on the cake.

Oh and being able to pull this off on film adds a little bit of validation for me, I can't tell you how many times people have asked me what Photoshop action I'm using lol

lmao!! Love that! teehee

Well hello all, it's been a while ;)

So, I finally took my film camera out with me in the van to try out my Fine Art in Motion methods on film. Then I got all scared to develop it because the thought of blowing my first try was killing me lol I finally womaned up and developed it and it turned out ok! I learned some things, like I want to try this in colour, very few of the set are in black and white for a reason, the colour so often adds a lot to the image. So here are the first try on film, I'm pleased with them despite seeing room for improvement, I can't wait to try again now! I'm having issues with my editing computer so these are untouched, straight from the scanner dust and all lol

img141 by Judi Smelko, on Flickr

img131 by Judi Smelko, on Flickr

img128 by Judi Smelko, on Flickr
I love the tension of design/composition/chaos in the first one. i don't miss the color at all.

Thanks Gary, those are neat! I'm not positive on my shutter speed, I'll have to look it up but I'm guessing it was about 1/15 to 1/30, I'm definitely going to push it further next time.

Otherprof, thank you! I do enjoy that one too, I think it's a keeper ;) My only issue is that I wanted more "motion" with the film in general, I think I ended up a little bit static on that front but I'm quite pleased at how it turned out in general with no expectations put on it.

Most reactions

Back