First Try Intentional Lens Flare

No, I have not tried beam splitting

You can always add your flare in post. :eek:

Lost my glasses last night so not sure what am reading let alone what I type. That dog pic, if you pout the flash behind the head you’d get a nice rim light effect, yep know that is not what you are trying for. For flear and old uv filter with some Vaseline smeared on it filter will not come clean after hence OLD

old uv filter with some Vaseline smeared on it

Yup that's old school. I had a box that I threw them in, would wait and clean several at a time.

I had to put everything up for a bit, other commitments, but when I come back I'll set up the smoke machine.

You can get created with flare. Here's shooting through a short piece of pcv that's about the same diameter of my lens element:

DSC_7115 by Braineack, on Flickr

DSC_7114 by Braineack, on Flickr

this was holding up some glass beads in the front of the lens shooting towards the sun -- not as successful:

DSC_7119 by Braineack, on Flickr

@Braineack Have you ever tried creating repeatable flare in a studio setting?

Not really, no. I'm a fan of flared back-lit golden hour images.

That's when I've usually gotten flare, in the evening when the light hits the lens at the right time and the right angle (or wrong if you don't want flare). The photo in the OP doesn't look like flare, more like glare; it makes me want to squint. Too much looking directly at the light rather than having it bouncing off the lens at an angle.

When you find a lens that flares the way you want, you should keep it. You are correct when you say that most modern lenses are coated so well that lens flare is difficult to produce.

That is why I will never let go of my first Nikkor 43-86.
It makes some GREAT flare.

Most reactions

Back