SlimPaul

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey,

I've seen some great photos with the use of umbrella. All I have is an SB-400. Would an umbrella and a wireless transmitter be enough or do I need some external lighting (like in this photo I stumbled across )?

Thanks, Paul

Not really, the 400 isn't nearly powerful enough. For off camera use, you need atleast and SB-600.

Hey,

I've seen some great photos with the use of umbrella. All I have is an SB-400. Would an umbrella and a wireless transmitter be enough or do I need some external lighting (like in this photo I stumbled across )?

Thanks, Paul
It depends on what you want to do with it. A shoot-through umbrella just out of frame will do quite a bit for you, even with a lower-powered flash, depending of course on how far it is from the subject.

I've seen some great photos with the use of umbrella.
An umbrella is just a tool. It's a light modifier that makes light softer by increasing the size of the light source.
And we have all seen some great photos made with the use of soft light.

Since you already have a flash, HERE is a kit with everything you need. Actually, it's got more than you need. The basics are; a light stand, an umbrella adapter to hold the flash & umbrella and a way to trigger the flash (radio triggers in this case).

400 is weak, as was noted but depending on you're shooting JUST might be enough (i.e. a bit higher iso to get a bit more out of 400, shoot through umbrella, close up, etc). if you want, PM for more specifics and we'll talk.

Good Luck

Most reactions

New Topics

Back