First wedding photography shoot

Kristov

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, my Fiance's long time friend is getting married. They hired (or so she says) someone else, and that is preferred. I however, will be there as well, and plan to bring a couple toys (old minolta/AE-1 and my D50). I have been looking up various things on the web, and was hoping you guys may have some insight into doing this. While my shots are not the "important" ones, I would like to get a few that turn out well.

Really, is there any tutorials (I looked and was unsuccessful finding one here) that you guys prefer or recommend? The wedding is roughly 2 months away, but I'd rather start prepping than sit on my tush till then.

Thank you in advance.

If you're not the photographer or being asked to be a second photographer there's not much you can do from your seat (tried it this past weekend). Not sure what you're looking to accomplish I guess.

Digital wedding photography is far less stressful than traditional wedding photography, for a couple of very good reasons:

First, you can easily rattle off hundreds of photos and not have to worry about loading more film every five minutes (although this is not a tip, and don't think this is how the pros get results - it isn't!). A big plus point for digital wedding photography.

Second, and probably more significant, you can see the results instantly. And a good tip is to check important shots, but not every shot.

Few opposite views on the topic:
As a wedding photographer, having guests running around with SLRs is very distracting for me and subject in front of my camera. So from that point of view I'd say leave your cameras at home and just have a good time with people there.
Often, depending on community you are in, paparazzi show up at weddings and b/c they have "big cameras" yet act like @$$H0Le$ giving wedding photogs a bad rep.
As a guest at weddings, I do bring my slr (I don't own P&S) and shoot my wife, kids and friends, RARELY B&G if at all (that's why they hired someone).

So how to really approach this is totally up to you. If you do bring your camera with you and will try to get few shots of B&G in, speak to hired workforce how he/she feels about you shooting over his/hers shoulder. Number of photographers I work for don't allow SLR shooters (for B/G and B&G formals) and literally will put the camera down until a guest will put his/hers camera down. Nonetheless when asked about to take few, they will pose few shots for the guests but that would be it. So, speak to them.

good luck

Now that you mention it, I was getting the evil eye all day/night from the 'photographer' and her assistant - even though I never once left my seat during the wedding, much less shot over her shoulder.

I guess my 'big camera' intimidated her. :greenpbl:

Oh, and the 'photographer' never once bounced the flash, it was ALWAYS pointing directly at the subject, even at the reception which was PERFECT for bounce, white ceiling, rather low (maybe 10 feet), I was dumbfounded.

i always take my gear to wedding as a guest, taking shots for me is the most fun i have at a wedding and usually the paid photog will come over and say hi and ask to see some shots and bs for a minute...remember they to are enthusiasts and most love to share their passion as long as they dont have to share their income

It is ridiculous not to bring your big camera because it might intimidate the pro. If he is that insecure, he'll have to get over it.

What I do recommend is not to use your flash for posed shots. You don't want to be the guy who screws up the exposure on his posed shots, with all the point & shoot folks. Crank up the ISO on your Nikon for those shots. Bring your telephoto zoom, so you don't crowd him.

After the ceremony, you can put the flash on and get some great candids.

Leave the film camera at home. Too much trouble, and not enough flexibility, IMO.

Taking pix of your family there is a good idea too.

Know what else is fun at weddings? Bring a point & shoot for your wife or kids. 85% of a good candid is just being at the right place at the right time, and anyone can do that as well as you can.

The only thing I can add to all this great advice and I am speaking from the brides perspecive here. Just got married Feb 25 is making sure you guys dont take ANY photos at the same time. I was married in Mexico and hired an outside photog. from the resorts and the resorts trailed along anyways despite me telling then I didnt need them too. So alot of shots from my proff. photog had people confused as to where to look and it basically ruins a bunch of potentially great group shots. Make sure to talk to the other guy and the B&G and know what THEY expect. If they want you to take some as well great otherwise enjoy the wedding and go for candids. Just my 2cp's.

The only thing I can add to all this great advice and I am speaking from the brides perspecive here. Just got married Feb 25 is making sure you guys dont take ANY photos at the same time. I was married in Mexico and hired an outside photog. from the resorts and the resorts trailed along anyways despite me telling then I didnt need them too. So alot of shots from my proff. photog had people confused as to where to look and it basically ruins a bunch of potentially great group shots. Make sure to talk to the other guy and the B&G and know what THEY expect. If they want you to take some as well great otherwise enjoy the wedding and go for candids. Just my 2cp's.

Exactly - DISTRACTION. :)

Some very good advice here. I'm trying to get in contact with the photographer and talk with them (if only very briefly) so I don't piss them off. They are being paid for a job, I'm not. Flash-wise, I had simply assumed no flash at all, so very high iso, and going as wide as I can may be the trick for me.

The film camera, really will be a pain. I know and realize this. However as I only use B&W, and really prefer it over the digital, it will be dragged along as well. I like the rude and crude oldies.

I don't actually own a point and shoot, otherwise I would. All of my camera stuff was inherited, and am taking classes to help use them a bit better. My only P&S is an auto film one.

Stay out of the pro's way. There is no reason to duplicate their shots anyway. Look for the situations the pro isn't covering. For instance the pro will probably shadow the B & G, so you concentrate on guests having a good time. Something I hear all the time from brides is "I love the photos of stuff I didn't know was going on."

Just pick one camera. Two cameras means 1/2 (or less) brain power each. One camera means you can concentrate on what's going on in front of the camera, and that's way more important than camera technology. The more you fiddle with gear, the less likely you are to get the shot.

When i was a wedding photographer it was rare that I was able to attend a wedding as a guest. One of the few times that I did I took a MF TLR on a bracket with a flash. I did not follow the hired photographers, just did my own thing. The paid photographers left early. The Bride knew that I was a photographer and ask if I could do some family photos that the "pros" had missed. She was very happy that I could do them for her and she bought several of them (I only charged enough to cover the lab fees).

The moral of the story is never leave home without your camera.

It appears the photographer is a family friend, and has done a few weddings and senior portraits. No website that is known by the bride. So I doubt the photographer would be ducking out early. I still want to talk with the photographer briefly, just so i don't step on any toes or anything.

Most reactions

Back