First Wedding!

JessicaBlair

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hi Everybody,
I'm shooting my first wedding as the primary shooter this weekend for my cousin. No I'm not charging them, and yes they have already seen my work. I want to make sure that I have everything I need, and might need.

The wedding is outside, pretty much in a field. The ceremony isn't under anything, just the tables are under tents. Here is the equipment that I have and will be getting this week. Please give me your input on anything else I would need and any advice for an outdoor wedding. The ceremony is at 1.

Nikon D3000
SB600
Nikon 18-55 3.5-5.6
Nikon 50mm 1.8
Tamron 28-80 3.5-5.6
Tamron 70-300 4-5.6
Polarizer Filter
UV Filter -on the way
Extra Batteries-on the way
Tripod
Several SD cards

Is there anything else that I am missing? I want to make sure I have everything ready by Friday :) Thanks

I only see one camera and one flash on that list. What if something stops working, or falls & breaks etc? Even if you aren't charging them, do you want to be in a situation where you have to apologize for not getting the photos because your camera stopped working? This is their wedding after all.

I wouldn't bother with the UV filter. I'd try the polarizing filter though, but remember that it steals some light, and you only have 'slow' lenses, so take the filter off if/when you have trouble getting fast enough shutter speeds.

As for shooting in a field at 1:00, an overhead sun can cause some really dark shadow which can look bad, especially if it gives people raccoon eyes. So if that's the situation, use your flash or a reflector or something to bounce some light into their faces.

I agree about the harsh shadow but I dont know if I agree with the reflector. Maybe only after the ceremony when you do the wedding party pictures?

I have a Kodak Z812 IS that I will be using if anything happens to my Nikon. My cousins have already been informed of this and are okay with it. I told them, I am not a professional by any means! But they are working on a limited budget (VERY limited) and can't afford the $3800 that other photographers charge. They are a young couple with one child and work hard for everything they have. But in this area, you don't earn much for working your butt off all week :)

Have you thought about renting gear for the wedding? Getting some pro glass with greatly help with not only the image quality, but the potential low light when the sun goes down.

Renting something like a D300 or D700 would be a huge help over the D3000 you have, and as its a smallish wedding, renting a 24-70 2.8 would be a great idea. Your D3000 could then be a backup to the D300/700.

Have you read through some books and looked at online examples? Check out a library or head to a book store and either spend an hour reading them there or buy them straight up.
Have you made a required shot list with them?
Have you planned out how and when you will doing the pictures in relation to the events of the wedding?
Do you have a contact person in the bridal party, other than the bride, to help gather and direct people for the required shots?
Do you have a good hande on how exposure and metering works? You will be taking pictures of a bride in a white and a groom in black, if not exposed or metered properly, things will look off. And remember, when in doubt, expose for the bride.

I was also trying to figure out what the UV filter is for?

The image sensor already has a UV filter in front of it and if it's not a high quality UV filter can only hurt image qualityby reducing contrast and introducing unwanted flare.

I assumed the UV filter was the generic term for the filter that people put in front of their lenses to protect them, the one they keep on at all times.

Have you thought about renting gear for the wedding? Getting some pro glass with greatly help with not only the image quality, but the potential low light when the sun goes down.

Renting something like a D300 or D700 would be a huge help over the D3000 you have, and as its a smallish wedding, renting a 24-70 2.8 would be a great idea. Your D3000 could then be a backup to the D300/700.

Have you read through some books and looked at online examples? Check out a library or head to a book store and either spend an hour reading them there or buy them straight up.
Have you made a required shot list with them?
Have you planned out how and when you will doing the pictures in relation to the events of the wedding?
Do you have a contact person in the bridal party, other than the bride, to help gather and direct people for the required shots?
Do you have a good hande on how exposure and metering works? You will be taking pictures of a bride in a white and a groom in black, if not exposed or metered properly, things will look off. And remember, when in doubt, expose for the bride.
Very good points!

I have thought about renting, but there isn't any place anywhere close to me that rents camera equipment. And, I dont have the $300 to rent from a website for a wedding that I'm not getting paid for. I showed them other weddings that I have shot with my D3000 and they were very happy with them.

Just do it then gal, UV is pretty useless apart from a front element protector otherwise you have all the gear of today's professional wedding tog. H

Use lens hoods instead of UV filters when you know there won't be any blowing sand or bad weather conditions.

just make sure you do a lot of before wedding pictures with your 50mm f/1.8. When the pride just put on the dress, groom tie his tie, mirror reflection etc. And pictures of the rings afterward (if you dont have macro lens).

just make sure you do a lot of before wedding pictures with your 50mm f/1.8. When the pride just put on the dress, groom tie his tie, mirror reflection etc. And pictures of the rings afterward (if you dont have macro lens).

That's the plan! :)

oh and dont get too liquored up!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back