Fisherman's Paradise

Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked all over for the before picture and could not find it. Sorry (I really mean that). I don't usually save them as I make my photo montage (good choice of words, Alex) and that's how I want the the image to look. When I'm done I just save it and thereby lose the original. I really was hoping it was on my hard drive as I wanted to show you the before and after. If you want I'll do another one and save both images. Albeit lacking in complete Photoshop skills, I am still proud of those images (the original one and the three I posted later) as they are beautiful and they are art - just not original, one exposure, photography. Let me go on record now as saying I totally agree that they should NEVER be put in that category of original one exposure photography.

I would also like to thank the folks that supported me in creating these montages. It may not be original photography but it isn't an oil painting and it is still artistic. I know there are some doubters out there, there always are, but I really was going to tell everyone it was a montage after the thread had run it's course. Again, I offer my sincere apology to those like Alex who felt like a "human mice" (although I really feel like that was a bit extreme). You know as well as I do, although you may not agree, that the ONLY way to test an image like this was to post it like I did. Again, for the third time, I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

Lastly, sabbath999, I think your post was rude. Although still a newbee, I have a name. I have posted in this forum 89 times. I am not a stranger who just made one post and to call me "OP," when you know my name, is condescending and arrogant. Thank you for telling me that my picture is quite cool but please use my name if you wish me to respond in the future.

PNA - Your statement. "That's the basis of this forum...originality." If that is the case then what's your point other than to try and make one? My images are are about as original as you can get. And, as someone has already said, if the poster tells everyone upfront that it is a montage than how can you get more original? Please be open to all kinds of photographic images, even the ones you may not agaree with. That's how we grow and learn.

EDIT: I just came across the before image of one of the other images I did. Here's the before and after.

5231-1.png
0.png

PNA - Your statement. "That's the basis of this forum...originality." If that is the case then what's your point other than to try and make one? My images are are about as original as you can get. And, as someone has already said, if the poster tells everyone upfront that it is a montage than how can you get more original? Please be open to all kinds of photographic images, even the ones you may not agaree with. That's how we grow and learn.

LeighAnn...(I'm using your name)....prehaps you misunderstood my meaning of "originality" with in the context of my statement.

I was referring to using the photographers original works to produce anything he feels is art or to construct his personal form of art. Correct me if I misread this thread wherein you used other photographers works to produce your montage first posted.

I hope this clears up my statement.....:wink:

Regarding your last photo posted.....did you take the photo of the forest and the people you inserted? If so, it's excellent!

I am not a stranger who just made one post and to call me "OP," when you know my name, is condescending and arrogant. Thank you for telling me that my picture is quite cool but please use my name if you wish me to respond in the future.

"OP" is the commonly used acronym on forums when referring to the person who originally posted and started the thread. Usually it is not at all meant offensive. One can discuss if all habits on forums are "good culture", but at least intentions behind it are not bad.

It is just to making typing easier, OP, like IMHO, like BTW, and so on.

Lastly, sabbath999, I think your post was rude. Although still a newbee, I have a name. I have posted in this forum 89 times. I am not a stranger who just made one post and to call me "OP," when you know my name, is condescending and arrogant. Thank you for telling me that my picture is quite cool but please use my name if you wish me to respond in the future.

Alex is quite correct, the term OP is simply shorthand for the Original Poster, and is a common internet forums term used often in this forum as well as virtually every single forum on the internet.

Similar terms commonly used include DH (Dear Husband), DW (Dear Wife), DD (Dear Daughter), DS (Dear Son), plus the ones that Alex mentioned, plus a ton of other ones.

Calling you the OP is no more offensive than calling somebody by the personal pronouns "him" or "her" depending upon the person's gender, it is simply a widely accepted internet shortcut.

I am sorry you found the term offensive. I would doubt anybody else even noticed it, since it is such a common and totally benign abbreviation that people use on this board all the time.

Yeah.. I don't care if LeighAnn posted her picture to see if people thought it looked real, it's the lieing that irritates me. She could've of just posted her picture, without the lieing text (ie. "It seemed like I waited hours for the boat to get into my shot"). Then when someone asks her a question she should come out and tell the truth. (instead of "Joe, Nope, sorry but it's one image. There was a lot of fog just off the water and that's what you are probably seeing.")

I guess dishonesty is my pet peeve. :p

This has been an interesting thread. Quite frankly, I don't feel used or duped or anything like that. In fact I've learned quite a bit.

First, the processing I like can happen. There are some very cool elements in the photo processing. I think if I work at it enough I'll get what I want out of my photography.

Second, patience pays. Not that the boat in the shot took forever to get there, but it reminds me that I've seen cool things happen and usually when I've been studying a scene for awhile.

Lastly, some people take themselves too seriously.

Yeah.. I don't care if LeighAnn posted her picture to see if people thought it looked real, it's the lieing that irritates me. She could've of just posted her picture, without the lieing text (ie. "It seemed like I waited hours for the boat to get into my shot"). Then when someone asks her a question she should come out and tell the truth. (instead of "Joe, Nope, sorry but it's one image. There was a lot of fog just off the water and that's what you are probably seeing.")

I guess dishonesty is my pet peeve. :p

I totally agree! People were asking how you were able to achieve this, and you blantantly lied about how you waited for a boat. You had the chance to come clean when you were asked. You stated afterward that your were eventually going to tell us the truth, but there is no way of knowing this for sure, and this was only brought out after you got caught. Anyone who plants objects in an original photograph to make it more interesting and then telling everyone that all the elements were real is just being plain old dishonest. As others have stated, it is art, and it is very good art. But it is NOT a photograph. Make no mistake, elements were deliberately planted in order to deceive the viewer.

I totally agree! People were asking how you were able to achieve this, and you blantantly lied about how you waited for a boat. You had the chance to come clean when you were asked. You stated afterward that your were eventually going to tell us the truth, but there is no way of knowing this for sure, and this was only brought out after you got caught. Anyone who plants objects in an original photograph to make it more interesting and then telling everyone that all the elements were real is just being plain old dishonest. As others have stated, it is art, and it is very good art. But it is NOT a photograph. Make no mistake, elements were deliberately planted in order to deceive the viewer.

I agree with this. When I first saw this thread and was going to make a comment about the "photograph", but the cloning on the bottom bugged me. I saw that someone else had commented on it (here), and you had said there was nothing done to the picture other than saturation (here).

It is also one thing if you took all the pictures and put them together than if you bought and/or aquired the pictures from someone else. This is a photography forum not a photoshop forum. I would have not problem with taking pictures that where not mine and blending them into one (here), but this is a photography forum where it's assumed the pictures that you have posted are your own all the way through. Here's an example of heavly edited work here on the forum but the original pictures are his (here).

I was not going to comment again on this thread, but wanted to get this off my chest.
I think the whole thing has been handled wrong from the beginning, from the time Leighann posted these images in the incorrect gallery, to the public bashing which now has ruined any reputation she might have on this forum.
It was a mistake and she has apologized, I think twice, but people keep going at this thread.
For all her threads to be hijacked with these same accusations could have been handled by a simple letter to the admin, or mods , state what is wrong. They could have locked the threads till Leighann was contacted. If she admitted to creating these images, they could have been moved to the proper gallery, with an explaination. That is their job, and they get good money for that. :lol::lol:

If Im not mistaken this gallery Here might have been a more appropriate place for these images.

Even tho these images are not original , they are still great works.

It then becomes whether how much photoshopping is necessary. All of my images are shot in RAW and converted in photoshop. So then , does that make it a photoshopped creation. :grumpy:

It will be a never ending argument, that will never be resolved. That line between what is a photograph or not.

Sorry if I ruffle any feathers...just my 2cents

Anyways..Im going back to my crypt. :lmao:

i didn't post either bc this had liar written all over it . . . if your going to lie wait until your good enough to do it. . . . from a 35mm negative my ace.

while its pretty, its also super fake LOOKING.

same here about the dishonesty.

seriously, I have nothing against photoshopping these together, and it looks like it took some time, and yes there is a commercial venue for this sort of work, so the OP can be hapy about that.

I feel a little responsibility to make sure intentions are clear as I was the "discoverer" of this dishonesty.

As for her reputation and future posts, thats something people should think about BEFORE they decide to decieve others. Theres nothing we can do about that.

But wether she would have come clean on her own or not, nobody knows.
thats between her and herself. Id like to think the best about everyone and figure she would have eventually, but who really knows.

I just call a spade a spade. thats all. And I try to defend the forums integrity, this is a serious thing when you think about it from the angle of integrity. it HAS to be preserved or else the forum will get a bad rap right ?

Go take some awsome pictures LeighAnn ! Redeem yourself by getting underground pictures of Lost Prophets Otters ..... The minions of the dark one... muhahahahaha

Redeem yourself by getting underground pictures of Lost Prophets Otters ..... The minions of the dark one... muhahahahaha

Those would be quite the pictures seeing that the report goes, he keeps those otters in his basement. Because of his love for Otters, I'm sure there is quite a security system to his basement, and the fact that there is probably be terrible light down there anyways would make those pictures special to us because knew what you had to go through just to get a cool shot of those Otters. He might have even trained them to be quite nasty to outsiders.

seriously, ...

.... And I try to defend the forums integrity, this is a serious thing when you think about it from the angle of integrity. it HAS to be preserved or else the forum will get a bad rap right ?

Gotta break a few eggs to make an omelette?

Like posting photos that aren't yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back