fisheye lens question

skatephoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Does anyone know where i can find a quality used fisheye lens for cheap. Are these fisheyes that they sell on ebay for like 70 bucks any good? thanks

Quality is in the eye of the beholder, one man's trash is another man's treasure, etc...

I've used fisheye lenses designed for video camers that screw onto an existing lens; these are usually dirt cheap. I have a Kenko fisheye lens designed to be used on a still camera; I think they are a little more expensive. These are sort of gimmicky, but they work, and only you can decide if the quality is acceptable. You might be surprised.

When I worked in a camera store I got sick of trying to explain the difference between Vivitar's $200 super wide angle zoom and the Canon model which was lots more expensive. I finally shot a roll with each in the store parking lot so I could show folks. We definately started to sell a lot of those Vivitars. I think that you can notice a difference in the quality if you really look, but most folks don't see it. Or they don't see the diff that adds up to all the extra money.

I can't remember exactly what the Vivitar model description is, but it's something like a 16mm to 21mm zoom. I'm sure Sigma makes one too. These come in the common lens mounts and probably go for about $200 new, so hopefully half that used. I think you'd probably be happy with the quality. And then when you're making big bucks shooting for skate mags you can pick up the brand name model.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back