Fist try at Photoshop

eric-holmes

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been messing with PhotoShop for about a day and here is my first try. I thought it came out ok. Nothing great, just ok. I have a problem though. How can I make my quick selection less jagged? For example, my right ear.

PictureorVideo13d8copy.jpg

hah i haven't figured out how make selections better around stuff either... i even tried the whole refine edge thing but i can never do it right unless it's a super hard edge...

There has to be some way. Maybe shooting against a green screen would work better.

I find using a Wacom Tablet just better for that kind of thing.
as well using a layer mask will improve the look ar well.
As well you should mirror the image so the text is correct and does not look like it was shot in a mirror

I find using a Wacom Tablet just better for that kind of thing.
as well using a layer mask will improve the look ar well.
As well you should mirror the image so the text is correct and does not look like it was shot in a mirror

Yeah, I should mirror the image lol

Next time, use feathering to soften the edges. Whenever you select the part you're gonna keep, go to Select > Modify > Feather. Enter pixels that are appropriate for the size of the picture; the bigger the picture's resolution, the bigger the number you enter in there. After you do that, just copy/paste or whatever and the edges will look softer.

About the tablet, I have a tablet PC and actually find it easier to select using the magnetic tool and my mouse. Tablets aren't for everyone.

Don't do quick selection, thats your problem. you need to use the lasso tool if anything and zoom in a lot. it takes a lot of time but with something that basic it shouldn't be hard at all and will look way better in the end. or even quick select but make it more than you need then go in close and use the eraser to bring it closer.

You could also use layers to accomplish what you're trying to do.

The quick selection tool works great but you have to zoom in a refine the selection.

As mentioned feathering helps once you have the edge selection done and masking is even better.

I have to second using a pen tablet. I use my pen tablet for nearly everything except typing including surfing the web.

If you don't have one Wacom just updated their Bamboo line but I can't recommend anything less than a Wacom Intuos 4 Medium.

If you can afford it look at the Cintiq tablets....Sweet.

Here is try number 2. I feathered the edges slightly and I fixed the Nikon orientation on the camera.

EricTry2.jpg

Looks MUCH better with the feathering. :)
However, you made the feathering a bit too noticeable. The edges on the outside of your hand and ear are a bit too blurry. You can either redo the selection with a smaller feather setting or, if you used layers, use a layer mask to remove a bit of the blurring from the hand while keeping the rest of the selection as is.

Last edited:
I feathered the edges about "3". I assume that means pixels. Anything more and it started to look like I did it on PicNic. Which is a no-no.

I feathered the edges about "3". I assume that means pixels. Anything more and it started to look like I did it on PicNic. Which is a no-no.

Then do it on 2 or 2.5. The lower you do it, the more natural it will look. If it's looking this obvious on 3 then the image resolution couldn't have been too big.

A great book to get for learning selections and more (for the record when I was into Graphic design, I used masks to render images, using a brush with 75% hardness)
"How to cheat in Photoshop CS3"
the same applies through out!
Refine edge works well! I used it today in class infact!
Mind you I havent figured how to use it, I just move sliders n hope for the best, if it doesnt work I undo then repeat (with a bit of skill to it ofcourse...)

Here is the article that shows you!
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/2228/focalpresshowtocheatinp.jpg part 1
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/2228/focalpresshowtocheatinp.jpg part 2

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back