Fitness and Motivation

Maybe I should post in here so it will motivate me to get back where I need to be.

I was a skinny kid, 13 turned fat. That's about how my weight happened. Seemed to be packed on overnight.

December 2011 I decided I needed to lose weight.

Went from 258 to ~230 within a few months. All I did was start eating healthier.

January 2013 I joined a gym for the first time. Me and my what was then girlfriend were going to he gym nearly everyday.

I was living in an apartment, right down the road from the gym. very easy to go to the gym.

Then in April I bought a house. Started remodeling the house. Got married November of last year.

Now it is Febuary of 2014 and I've only been to the gym ~7 times in 10 months. I. Feel. Like. Death.

I weigh 220 right now which is what I weighed when I dwindled away from the gym, but I basically swapped out some muscle for fat so that's why the weight is the same.

I think me and the wife need to get back on our diet and exercise. (Diet meaning actual daily diet)

I just need motivation:grumpy:

Well get after it, William.

I took the last two weeks off of exercising. Got back into my routine two days ago. Feeling better again. Because of my altered diet I stayed around 204#. Sodas are once again removed from my diet.

Hell yea, I love working out. I've been working out for close to 20 years(holy crap...). I started lifting weights for sports in high school and got hooked. Unfortunately, over the last couple of years I haven't been able to be as consistent as I would like. I've changed jobs a few times and currently work third shift so it's a little understandable. Recently, however, I signed up for a gym membership and am starting to get my ass in gear. I predominantly use free weights first and do cardio after that but will mix it up with some circuit training or cross training. Some things I've learned over the years:

-diet is 70% of your success. Don't listen to anyone who says otherwise
-EVERY training style/routine works. Pick something you like and do it until your results slow down, then change it up some
-if you are going to use free weights, don't pay attention to how much weight anyone else is using. Use enough weight to get to your desired rep range and USE PROPER FORM. You won't get ANY results if you hurt yourself and can't train
-learn the difference between being sore(or in my case, really sore) and injured. Taking a break every once in a while is ok but try to push through being sore. Don't try to push through an injury

I ran 1.5 miles last night in 13min, and all I was left with was the feeling of: why?!

if you are going to use free weights, don't pay attention to how much weight anyone else is using. Use enough weight to get to your desired rep range and USE PROPER FORM. You won't get ANY results if you hurt yourself and can't train

So right.
Free weights are much more difficult - and dangerous - than machines because form is critical and it is much easier to hurt yourself. I switched to machines because the muscle groups for each machine are well defined, the weights are constrained by the machine and it takes really obliviously moronic behavior to hurt yourself.

... the weights are constrained by the machine and it takes really obliviously moronic behavior to hurt yourself.
I'm a moron then, on the oblique crunch machine anyway. I wound up in the ER and the drugs they gave me helped a lot, but later ended up having 2x steroid injection sessions in the L5 nerve root to reduce inflammation. Preexisting condition was a spinal fusion at L5-S1 many years earlier. I was careful and was using light weight because of that.

I like using the machines also and after the steroid procedure had been getting pretty good with reps and increasing weights. That is until I had another fusion at C5-C6 & C6-C7 about 8 weeks ago. Back to light duty now with a max of 15lb weights. I particularly like the elliptical machine for cardio workout.

Doc said I could ride my bike if I took it easy and stayed on pavement. Ached horribly after my rides, so I ordered another with better geometry and suspension. Should pick it up over the upcoming weekend.

“I take my only exercise acting as a pallbearer at the funerals of my friends who exercise regularly.” ― Mark Twain

"I have never taken any exercise, except sleeping and resting, and I never intend to take any. Exercise is loathsome. And it cannot be any benefit when you are tired; and I was always tired. But let another person try my way, and see where he will come out." - Mark Twain

Mark Twain notwithstanding, I haven't exercised regularly in a long time and I feel like crap. My schedule is insane this semester, but I still should be able to find time for even half an hour most days, and other days up to an hour, and yet, I've found myself focusing too much on the work I have to do and not enough on taking care of myself.

Someone kick my ass please????
:whip:

Well get after it, William.

I took the last two weeks off of exercising. Got back into my routine two days ago. Feeling better again. Because of my altered diet I stayed around 204#. Sodas are once again removed from my diet.

I actually forgot I posted this.

Today is 21 days since I started back in the swing of things.

I'm feeling a lot better in general and about myself.

My wife has lost 11 pounds and that really has boosted her to keep going.

Mark Twain notwithstanding, I haven't exercised regularly in a long time and I feel like crap. My schedule is insane this semester, but I still should be able to find time for even half an hour most days, and other days up to an hour, and yet, I've found myself focusing too much on the work I have to do and not enough on taking care of myself.

Someone kick my ass please????
:whip:

I pick things up and put them down. Heavy things. I may not know much about photography, but ask me how to shred like a lean piece of angus, and I got you there!

Bringing it back from the dead!!

2014 Holidays got me bad. The gut enlarged and for good reason. All the fried turkey and hams were killer good. Got up around 220. Back down now around 212-215. I have recently started jogging/running. Last night was the first time I ran for more than five minutes at a time. Ran for 17 mins @ 5.2 mph. Tonight I ran 25 mins @ 5.3 mph. That's the most I have ever run at any length of time or distance. Slowly ratcheting the speeds and length of time up. Tomorrow night I plan on 30 min @ 5.3 or 5.4 mph. Motivation? That stomach I noticed from the Xmas pics we did just before Christmas Day....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422497476.874479.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Telekenisisisisis

I am a big fan of Activity Trackers. For me they are great motivators, they don't lie ... in the evening if my activity is low, I'll take a walk.

There is also a competitive component to the tracker, pitting you against others in a similar activity level. I'm pretty competitive and won the last competition with more than 120,000 steps in a week.

I've also been doing daily push-ups and sit-ups.

Oh wow, it's my fitness thread! Just in time, too, because I'm probably going to need some motivation to help me this year :) Thanks for reviving it, G! And good for you for re-starting your efforts!

As I've mentioned to my Coffee House hosers, I bought a stationary bike in December and planted it in my living room so I can watch television and not be too bored on the bike. Every time I break a sweat, I can put $1 in a jar. On the first of the month, I have the option of cashing in the bike jar money and buying a treat, or rolling it to the next month.

So far I have $40 in the jar and 342 miles on the bike. Starting in Jan, I expanded to rule to include other vigorous activity, so a few of those dollars are for long hikes I took.

I've also decided I'm going to dedicate my bike jar money to help pay for finally getting my teeth fixed (they're crooked and I hate them). I'm going to see how much I can save by the end of the year.

Now that I'm getting into a fitness routine, I have to work more closely on my eating and especially my stress levels, which are kind of high for various reasons and make it even harder to lose weight.

Most reactions

Back