Fitness and Motivation

Hey Leo, these activity bands are pretty good. You can plug in what you eat, plug in non-walking/running exercises and they'll include them into the totals. 12,973 steps today. They even track your sleep.

Hey Leo, these activity bands are pretty good. You can plug in what you eat, plug in non-walking/running exercises and they'll include them into the totals. 12,973 steps today. They even track your sleep.

I was just talking about this with my sister, who wears a Jawbone bracelet. Ever since my great magnesium epiphany, I've been interested in tracking my sleep, but I am also a data-lovin' fool so I would like to track activity during the day as well. It would be interesting to see how many steps I take when I'm teaching. I never sit down. So I'm looking into finding one that is affordable.

I've had a Fitbit, Nike Fuel Band and now a Garmin. I think the Fitbit is probably the most accurate with easy linking. The Nike broke ... I have friends that have broken Nike Fuel Bands as well. Don't get a Nike. I like the Garmin, it seems well made and works well. I hated the looks of the Fitbit. While I was doing my research I read an interesting statement by a user which stated any activity tracker that doesn't monitor the heartbeat is nothing more than a glorified pedometer. I agree. The Garmin came with a chest strap for the heart. (The finger ones don't work a ... to quote Brian ..."Chit.)

No prob, on the thread revive, it was time... And good luck on the bike! That's what I don't like about working out on the drilling rigs... Boring on the treadmills. Oh well. Got my iPod to keep me entertained but that's it.

I've been looking into the activity tracking bracelets but none sync up with my health apps on my phone, are waterproof, track sleep, and have great battery life (more than 2 days worth of charge) from what I've read.

Sent from my iPhone using Telekenisisisisis

No prob, on the thread revive, it was time... And good luck on the bike! That's what I don't like about working out on the drilling rigs... Boring on the treadmills. Oh well. Got my iPod to keep me entertained but that's it.

I've been looking into the activity tracking bracelets but none sync up with my health apps on my phone, are waterproof, track sleep, and have great battery life (more than 2 days worth of charge) from what I've read.

I can't speak to your health apps, but most/all trackers come with their own health apps which sync to the tracker. My tracker is waterproof (you can swim with it), tracks sleep and the battery lasts a year before it needs replacing. (The battery is a replaceable battery not a rechargeable battery.) One of the reasons I purchased the Garmin because I find the one year, replaceable battery, a very nice option. My Fitbit and Nike would last the better part of a week on a single charge.

I use MyFitnessPal and Sleep Cycle which both sync to the Apple app. MyFitnessPal says it'll sync with Garmin Connect... So, the one you have Bluetooth or wifi to Garmin Connect and upload data to it?

I use MyFitnessPal and Sleep Cycle which both sync to the Apple app. MyFitnessPal says it'll sync with Garmin Connect... So, the one you have Bluetooth or wifi to Garmin Connect and upload data to it?

I have the Garmin Vivofit. I selected the Vivofit over the Vivosmart for the replaceable battery. The Vivosmart's improvements ... well ... I didn't need or wouldn't use and the Vivosmart has a sealed rechargeable battery. The Vivofit connects via Bluetooth to Garmin Connect. Garmin Connect is very similar to Fitbit. I heard that Garmin will interface with the Fitbit database. This allows you a larger universe to team up and train directly or indirectly on the internet for more motivational influence/fun/whatever. Good Luck.

I've used both the Polar watch (plus heartmonitor) and the Garmin Forerunner. I've found the Polar more accurate with respect to calories burned but the Forerunner the best for analyzing the performance. There's a lot that you can learn about yourself and your state of fitness when you examine the way your heart-rate tracks work levels. I've used Joe Friel's "Total Heart Rate Training" (Total Heart Rate Training Customize and Maximize Your Workout Using a Heart Rate Monitor Joe Friel 9781569755624 Amazon.com Books) as a very good way to understand how to figure out what the monitor is telling you and how to use it effectively.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm still riding my bicycle and doing plenty of yard work when it's not raining too much.
Afterwards, the hot tub and plenty of tiger balm makes it all worth while.

I do appreciate the info, TheFantasticGary, lol. I need to look into these Garmins... Did my longest run yet tonight.

3.01 miles in 35 minutes @ 5.2 mph

Last edited:
When I cycle I'd wear the chest band / heart monitor ... I think the heart monitor would be very important to compliment and help rate your runs.

LA is really difficult to comfortably exercise in if you don't have a gym membership.

Biking is more dangerous than driving a car.

So I've just started doing stuff at home. I have a weight set I bummed off a professor for super cheap. Unfortunately, I don't have one of those full body mirrors for selfies.

Damn.

Most reactions

Back