Fitness and Motivation

I hate missing days on the treadmill/exercising because them feel good chemicals released are addicting

Sent from my iPhone using Telekenisisisisis

I waited for all the new year resolutions to fall by the wayside and joined a local gym last week since the crowds would be gone
I got very sedentary over the last 2 years and started eating and drinking junk. So, 20 lbs later, I figured it's time to get going again.
Got a trainer since I have no clue what I am doing.
Turns out, I can't even squat or breathe right! Geez, this is going to be rough..
N

I waited for all the new year resolutions to fall by the wayside and joined a local gym last week since the crowds would be gone
I got very sedentary over the last 2 years and started eating and drinking junk. So, 20 lbs later, I figured it's time to get going again.
Turns out, I can't even squat or breathe right! Geez, this is going to be rough..
N
That's a good idea to avoid crowds. One reason I can't do the gym thing is because of crowds. I guess I go at the most popular times, and I don't want to shift my schedule too much.

Also, can't stand lunks. haha

I definitely need some motivation before I fall by the wayside. Lost a significant amount of weight last year (about 20% of my body weight), and I gained some back before getting to my initial goal weight.

I had to break my goal weight into an initial goal and a secondary goal. Initial is 200 pounds. Secondary should be around 180. So, I have a bit to go and need to keep the motivation up.

While I can do treadmill for a while, I don't see a noticeable difference in weight and body. Lost the most weight and toned the best while following Jillian Michael's Body Revolution. I want to go through this program again this year.

Stick with it Nancy, it only gets easier (of course then it's time to add more time/weight). I'm currently out of commission with that stomach bug and can't believe I actually miss my workouts! Weight loss tip -get the stomach bug. Easiest 5 lbs I've ever lost.

Here are my 2 cents after losing 35 pounds 3 years ago and transitioning from a couch potato to a more active lifestyle. It is imperative that you find a nutrition and exercise routine that works for YOU. I can't stress this enough. Way too many people start and then can't sustain, eventually falling back to where they started.

There are a lot of great workout options (several have already been suggested). For about a year I ran 3-5 miles, 3 days a week. This worked well for me because it was convenient (walk out the front door and run) and the schedule was flexible. I've since transitioned to a crossfit style bootcamp for one hour twice a week. This also works for me. For gym workouts I've found that I need someone to keep me accountable and push me harder than I'll push myself. I still run from time to time as well, especially when traveling.

Now my thoughts on nutrition. I've found that weight control is 80% nutrition and 20% exercise. There is no amount of exercise that will compensate for a bad diet. Just as with your workouts, you have to find a nutrition lifestyle that is sustainable. I used the Dukan Diet to lose weight and more importantly, change my eating habits. I still follow what I learned 3 years ago to maintain my weight.

Pick whatever nutrition regiment works for you, but it has to be something you can live with day in and day out. The most enlightening moment for me was when I realized I had to retrain my body how to eat correctly. Carbohydrates are addictive. Breaking that addiction was difficult and took me 3 months. From time to time I find myself slipping back into the addiction (cookies are my downfall) and have to catch myself. I'm not saying I never eat cookies or dessert, I just don't eat them every day and not nearly the portion size people today think of as "normal".

Good luck on you quest. It is a lifestyle change and requires willpower. A good support network is very helpful.

N

Stick with it. When I started running I could't make it 200 yards and could barely walk 3 miles. 3 months later I ran my first 5K. When I started boot camp workouts at the gym, it took me 1 hour 45 minutes to finish a 1 hour workout (the trainer stuck with me and wouldn't let me quit).
Progress seems slow but it does come if you are persistent and consistent. Measure your progress over months and not days; when you look back you'll be amazed and how far you've come.

When I was at the height (or lowest) point of being out of shape ... I figured it was decades of not working out and eating poorly to get me to that level. So I figured it will take me a long time to get where I want to be. No real rush to kill myself, just a little pain everyday should do it.

Thanks guys. Overall I have a god start on the diet side. We eat wheat bread, pasta, rice mostly. No red meat other than maybe 2ce a year hamburger somewhere good. 2% milk, don't eat out a lot but get chix wings to go or Chinese food are our downfall.
I also got back on Pepsi and a couple of glasses of wine a night. So stopped those last week.
Nancy

Most reactions

New Topics

Back