Fixing light leaks? need advice

peresz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Im trying to figure out where the light leaks might be coming from. any advice?
I have Kiev 88cm . i attached some samples below
leaks1.jpg

Wow, that's pretty bad--since the light leaks seem to be coming from all directions I'd suspect the shutter as well.

the camera is brand "new" from the factory. the metal cover for the film back seems pretty tight too. How can it be in the shutter though? or maybe am i exposing film to light when i insert/remove it from the camera?

Are you familiar with how to load 120 film in the camera's film back? I was assuming you were familiar with the camera as you specifically asked about a "light leak". Its not a "light leak" if its caused by user error. The camera has a horizontal cloth shutter... some of the patterns in the samples indicate a shutter problem. Hence my suggestion to check the shutter. We are now looking at "user-error", "light leak", "processing error", "camera problem", "film handling error"... too many variables.

If you should give us as much detail as possible if you want help.

+1 for usat's advice. Light leaks usually look like flares or streaks. Horizontal banding usually suggests shutter issues. Multiple bandings like yours looks more like user error. 120 film not tightly wound onto the take-up spool then exposed to light can produce effects much like those you posted, but anything is possible. BTW..."Brand New" does not mean much when it comes to a Kiev, and I really like Soviet cameras. Yours is much cheaper than a Hasselblad, as long as you are prepared to spend some time head scratching and tinkering.

I would that the light leaks are entering around the seals on the film back. Light leaks from a shutter problem would not be as evenly spread out. These cameras are known for light leaks around the film holder. Use light bafling material around the edges and everything should be OK.

I was going to buy a Kiev until I saw this...

Despite those leaks, I like the 5th one.

Perhaps you have a "fat roll" . You need to be sure the film is wound very tightly on the spool when removing it from the camera and before taking it in the darkroom for loading in a tank.

This does not appear to be a problem with the dark slide seals on the back, they are too random and in the wrong place. As has been mentioned, there are a lot of variables which could be contributing to this problem. We need more information.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back