Flash advice?

Solthar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm currently looking into the canon speedlites and their third party equivalents. As this will be my first external flash, I would not mind some advice :wink:.

I currently have little knowledge about the merits of the various models, or in fact what I should be looking for in the first place. Are there any sites out there with such info? Visited the Strobists site, and while an excellent source of general lighting info, it seems lacking in the specifics I need for this decision.

So, anyone out there have some excess knowledge that they wouldn't mind bestowing upon one such as I? :sexywink:

Your question is far too broad. What do you want to use the flash for; do you want it just to have it; are you trying to do portrait work; is it just going to be used for general fill flash/high-sync photography. The speedlite can do many things and come in various models so you need to let those who are familiar with Canon's brand what you are planning to do with it.

Ah, a good question! As this would be my first external flash I plan on playing around with it quite a bit to see exactly what it excels at. So, I guess I prefer something thats more of a jack-of-all-trades to that which would be solely dedicated to portrait work (though, on the other hand, I'm not at all adverse to it being capable of such :p )

That was... uh...random, nandyred, though it is indeed a funny picture.

Anyways, thanks for that link, davebmck. It's helped quite a bit... took a while to read it through, though :greenpbl:. It looks like the Speedlite 430EX II is the one that's right for me.

Thanks again!

Good choice. That is what I decided on for my first external flash. If you decide to upgrade, your 430EX can be used as a slave.

How do you like that Sigma 150-500? I had one about a year ago and had to return it because I couldn't get a sharp image out of it. May have been a bad copy though.

I'm actually quite happy with my sigma. True, it isn't as sharp as my Tamron, but then I wasn't expecting it to be.

And being able to handhold a 500mm lens is quite nice too :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back