What's new

Flash battery life questions

Overread20

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member 📸
Joined
May 1, 2008
Messages
25,507
Reaction score
5,112
Location
UK - England
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So my new wireless (cheap) flash remotes don't have a wake up the flash function, so if the flash powers down through its auto powersave function I have to either tap the test button on the flash to wake it up or disable the auto turn off.

The latter option is clearly the only viable one long term because otherwise I just know I'll end up missing a considerable number of shots because the flash wasn't on (and in macro that means totally black shots with nothing to even consider recovering). However I am partly concerned about how this will affect the lifespan of the batteries in the flash itself, will it create a noticeable difference in how long they will last before I need to replace them and further more is there any possible risk to leaving the flash on and in a charged state for longer periods of time?


Flash in question is a Canon 580EX2
 
I shot for 6.5 hours two weeks ago with my 580 EX-II and left the flash on the camera and ON the entire day. I went through two sets of brand new AA alkaline batteries,and shot about 720 frames, MANY with flash, many without flash. The flash seemed to suffer no ill effects from the 6.5 hours of continuous power on.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom