Flash Diffuser.

Thats what I mean, that I may just eventually get them all. Up until now, I must have been thinking (for some reason..) that once I got one, I cant get one of the others. Its not like these are $2000 lenses, so I can always get the others if it turns out I need them.

Thanks all again.
Mark

I have the opposite opinion. If you can afford it, buy it and play with it. If it doesn't suit your needs, sell it or store it away as I have done with my GF. Perhaps sometime I'll find it does actually do something I can't do with a smaller or otherwise better device. Who knows. :)

I like being able to play with things and to figure out what works for me and what doesn't. You get a ton of opinions on the internet, some good and others not so good. Certainly don't take what I say to be the gospel, I just have an opinion... nothing more.

That makes alot of sense also, and sounds like alot of fun. haha.

They are all under $50, so getting a GF and a softbox shouldnt be an issue at all. Well, I have to pick up the actual flash before I get anything. So until then, I have plenty of time to decide. :thumbup:
Mark

The following post is half satirical, half serious:

I just went to the Gary Fong web site and looked at the new collapsible contraption. InTempus mentioned using a $50 Fong diffuser much like an $11 Sto-Fen Omni-bounce. Now that I have seen the video of the newest,latest,greatest Gary Fong flash modifier, I have to put in my vote for
the Oktoberfest Plastic Beer Cup Stack as the newest challenger for the new $49 Fong diverter...who wants to pay $49 when you can get drunk instead AND make a homemade flash diffisuer/attention drawer/compliment earner?

Take a stack of plastic beer glasses from the trash at a baseball game, Oktoberfest beer garden, NBA game, or college football game....stack a bunch of em up, cut the tops off and the bottoms off, then slap the whole stack of them atop of a speedlight and blast away!

Heaven forbid you're afraid of wearing dork jeans when all the cool kids have designer jeans....but the bubble wrap envelope seems to give light as good as the Fong diffuser...your flash power scattered all over he)), people staring at you and thinking, "Man, that guy's the sh*+, he's got a diffuser on top of his flash," Ahhhh, this is the life!!! Bubble wrap, beer cups, styrofoam coffee cup, craft foam Better Bounce Card knock-off, or Sto-Fen Omni-Bounce--they are ALL equally cool-looking. Nothing says, "I know what I am doing, I am a serious shooter," better than a contraption slapped on top of your flash unit.

I just went to the Gary Fong web site and looked at the new collapsible contraption. InTempus mentioned using a $50 Fong diffuser much like an $11 Sto-Fen Omni-bounce. Now that I have seen the video of the newest,latest,greatest Gary Fong flash modifier, I have to put in my vote for
the Oktoberfest Plastic Beer Cup Stack as the newest challenger for the new $49 Fong diverter...who wants to pay $49 when you can get drunk instead AND make a homemade flash diffisuer/attention drawer/compliment earner?

Take a stack of plastic beer glasses from the trash at a baseball game, Oktoberfest beer garden, NBA game, or college football game....stack a bunch of em up, cut the tops off and the bottoms off, then slap the whole stack of them atop of a speedlight and blast away!

Heaven forbid you're afraid of wearing dork jeans when all the cool kids have designer jeans....but the bubble wrap envelope seems to give light as good as the Fong diffuser...your flash power scattered all over he)), people staring at you and thinking, "Man, that guy's the sh*+, he's got a diffuser on top of his flash," Ahhhh, this is the life!!! Bubble wrap, beer cups, styrofoam coffee cup, craft foam Better Bounce Card knock-off, or Sto-Fen Omni-Bounce--they are ALL equally cool-looking. Nothing says, "I know what I am doing, I am a serious shooter," better than a contraption slapped on top of your flash unit.

lol I comprehended about 2/3 of what you wrote. But I have to say, I have gotten TONS of girls since I started rockin my Gary Fong on my off camera strobe, while walking around downtown. Seriously, so many girls come up to me and jock the $%*! out all my equipment once they see, the FONG. It attracts people from all angles, and everyone pretty much automatically things i'm a pro.

This, my friends, is what the extra $40 will get you. They are all right, the GF is no better than the next diffuser, unless you consider the chic-magnet features... :blushing:

ps....I love designer jeans. My jean collection is worth more than my camera set up probably. And....... I wear my pants below the waist which you older folks call "sagging".

Seriously, so many girls come up to me and jock the $%*! out all my equipment once they see,

Can we not get into this conversation? Sorry, but Its one for another time, at another place. I am not getting a flash so I can attract 'the ladies'. I, also being younger than most here (no offence to the vets), don't 'sag'. Not that it has anything to do with my choice of diffusers. Thanks.

Mark

Seriously, so many girls come up to me and jock the $%*! out all my equipment once they see,

Can we not get into this conversation? Sorry, but Its one for another time, at another place. I am not getting a flash so I can attract 'the ladies'. I, also being younger than most here (no offence to the vets), don't 'sag'. Not that it has anything to do with my choice of diffusers. Thanks.

Mark

:hail:

Another thing about you: GULLIBLE!

Whether you were serious or not, I have seen conversations like this get taken way out of hand around here every once in a while, just trying to prevent that.

Mark

Dscience very nice shots. With the G. Fong I think you can control it as far as intensity however controlling the specific direction of spread, it is much more difficult to do so as it was designed to diffuse on a very wide spectrum.

this may have been mentioned already...still reading the thread but on the fong you can always add tape on the side of the fong that you dont want the light going, of course not clear tape

I made my recommendation based off of what I saw the last 3 wedding photographers using at weddings I've been to.

No personal experience, yet.

Blag, they're doing it because it's easy, not because it's necessarily good. Many of the best wedding 'togs even swear by simple things like a piece of black foamcore and a hairband. All they need is a flag and a wall to bounce off of. Oh, and some cc gels.

lol I comprehended about 2/3 of what you wrote. But I have to say, I have gotten TONS of girls since I started rockin my Gary Fong on my off camera strobe, while walking around downtown. Seriously, so many girls come up to me and jock the $%*! out all my equipment once they see, the FONG. It attracts people from all angles, and everyone pretty much automatically things i'm a pro.

This, my friends, is what the extra $40 will get you. They are all right, the GF is no better than the next diffuser, unless you consider the chic-magnet features... :blushing:

ps....I love designer jeans. My jean collection is worth more than my camera set up probably. And....... I wear my pants below the waist which you older folks call "sagging".

For the love of...Not the point of the thread, nor even the forum I dare say. If you need to use gear to attract ladies, that's too bad. That doesn't mean that it's good, and just because people assume you're a pro because you have it, doesn't make it good, nor you a pro. Period.

Dscience very nice shots. With the G. Fong I think you can control it as far as intensity however controlling the specific direction of spread, it is much more difficult to do so as it was designed to diffuse on a very wide spectrum.

this may have been mentioned already...still reading the thread but on the fong you can always add tape on the side of the fong that you dont want the light going, of course not clear tape

A bare flash with a foamcore flag and headband will always be faster. ;)

I'm amazed that two people took Dscience's post seriously and didn't immediately recognize it as a tongue in cheek post. :er:

nopes - the regular and the mini small boxes both allow you to retain metering - its just the softbox III - the very large one - that will cover over the little sensors on the flashgun and thus mean that you have to remain in manual flash

Ok, because Amazon has one posting for a softbox II, and I havent seen this anywhere else.

Mark

Most reactions

New Topics

Back