Flash for nikon?

Great, that is what I think I will go with, any tips?

I've also been thinking of softboxes for the flash.... something like this.

I am looking to get a flash for nikon. I am looking at an SB900, but want a diffusal method for use in portraits. I am looking at this, along with the SB900, what do you think? DDA16 Harbor Digital Bounce Diffuser for the Nikon SB900

OK, this is going to cost you $20 and I'll leave it up to you when to send me the check.

1. Get the SB because you need at least one dedicated OEM flash anyway. Also get two flash stands and one bracket. Get one silver reflector (get the 5-in-one), a 36 inch will do nicely.

2. Put together two 72X42 inch frames and affix some shiny white cloth to them. White satin works fine. Also get some translucent nylon for a single frame covering.

3. Stand one of the frames as close as you can to your subject with out it being in the picture.

4. Do the same for the other side while still leaving room for your flash on it's stand to bounce into the Main reflector. You will need to move the flash around to find the best angle for each subject bouncing the light like a billiard ball into them. It would be best if you keep the flash about eye level.

5. Put the reflector behind your subject and directly across from your main light and then point it down at their head taking care not to let it be seen in the photo.

This set up will give you a nice soft, yet moody effect. If you want softer yet with not so much mood, use the translucent nylon as a diffuser. You can adjust how soft or hard the light is by how close to the material you place your flash and how much it wraps around by how far forward you place the 'main'.

Use a lens hood or build a third frame and cover it with black cloth for a flag to keep extraneous light from washing out your photos.

And remember, Tupperware is for leftovers.

Last edited:
I've also been thinking of softboxes for the flash.... something like this.

I'm laying in bed half asleep reading a little before I go to bed, and saw this. I think I can build something EASILY like this except instead of it being a white cover for a bounce umbrella, why not a black rear cover with a silver inside liner for a shoot through umbrella?

Now it would not be more effective than a silver reflective umbrella, but it sure would not be less effective either and it would be in theory no harder to make... and becuase you are using the curvature of the umbrella, there is a beautiful slow fade-off of the light as it comes to the edges instead of the hard edges the setup you show above would want to produce!

I have a small project to look into now... lol

Cool, be sure to post results.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back