Flash for wildlife - Nikon body.

Discussion in 'Lighting and Hardware' started by Dyslexicbloke, Aug 8, 2018.

1. RowdyRay

RowdyRay No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Believe it or not, I found one at a thrift store for 5.00. Haven't tried it yet, but should. Been having trouble with the undersides of birds in flight with a bright sky behind it. Even after bumping up the EV as another member suggested. Frustrating. Especially when you track the bird properly, nail focus and the underside is still dark. Maybe I'm doing something else wrong.

2. Dyslexicbloke

Dyslexicbloke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Interesting... both the comments arguing against and for...
    Looking at the Safari review, and assuming it can't make light so would be less effective than a speedlight with a comparable lense, I have to say I think that there are situations where I would get good use from a flash.
    Obviously BIF and anything long is out of the equation but small birds, and the like, at moderate distances where a long lens is in use to fill the frame as opposed to getting ready, seems like a reasonable fit, especially as stuff is often in undergrowth or below gedges,

I am not convinced that simply magnifying true pop-up is going to cut it but I am tempted by some of the cheaper i-TTl stuff. Thanks for the heads up RE old TTL.. I didn't know that, I thought i-TTL was a Nikon thing. In fact I planned to research what functionality TTL would give me on a Nikon body... Which would have been pointless.

Any thoughts RE Neewer 750II. The Nikon variant is i-TTL, aparantly
    It looks capable to me... but what do I know.

3. BrentC

BrentC Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

Knowing why you want to use it I can say you don't need one and I am not even sure that using one is going to help. Never heard of anyone using one for bifs. Are the birds within 30' feet of you? If not definitely not going to be of use. I would say this is more for stills up to the 30' range for small birds.

Your issue sounds more like a exposure issue. Are you using spot metering? How much of an EV adjustment have you tried? Do you have a photo showing your issue that you can post?

4. Dyslexicbloke

Dyslexicbloke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Exposure... More likely lack of both talent and knowledge...
    Onward and upward I guess.

al-pics | photo.net

Just setup Flicker account, the above simply isn't busy enough to get constructive critisisum.
    Nothing uploaded yet. (Flickr that is)

Have a look at the house Martin's drinking.

Spent circa 6 Hrs getting those and to be honest none of them are good.
    OK so they will print at A4 and look reasonable, until you get close, but from a technical perspective they are pretty poor.

That said, since I have been new going with RAW processing I am increesingly of the opinion that asthmatics, final image, is probably more important than seeing everyone last wisker and feather, but I will confess that junk in always produces junk out.

I am reasonably pleased with some of those... Not that I don't want you do better but to do that I need to remain positive and accept it will take time and practice to get where I want too be.
    I also realize, now at least, that I will not be buying a 1500mm F3.5 any time soon, in fact ever, so I have to manage my own expectations.

It's sort of why I am here... My expectations are ultimately high, my skill level is lacking at best and although kit will help it isn't going to maker me better.
    However as I learn, I am realising that kit can help when it becomes a limiting factor.

I like the technical aspects of the hobby, hence playing with a flash, I also appreciate some of the boundaries. My lense is likely the best I can justify and ther D90 isn't making there best of it...
    Bring on there D7200

No that will not fix me, but it will give me more wriggle room to get batter whilst feeling reasonably good about a few shots, and I guess that is why I decided to try a flash.

Yes I did sorry... functional but we'll used SB-800 in thr post.

Heck at £75 it will come in for something and will likely teach me a thing or tweo even if it doesn't help with house martins. drinking.

Keep it clean coming folks... Learning loads
    Thanks.

BTW... Feel free to comment, in any major, on my pics.
    There is literally nothing I couldn't do better and likely loads I don't even know I am doing badly in the first place.

Cheers,
    Al

5. Dyslexicbloke

Dyslexicbloke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    House Martin Drinking on the Wing 2 | Photo.net

This is an example of where I like the result but at the some time realise I could have done better with what I have too work with and also was probably pushing the boundaries in the first place making improvement harder.

It is well within flash range... Fill light would probably have helped and if my overall focus mechanisme, probably settings as well as kit, had been faster I could have taken it with dynamic focus as opposed to manual.

I set up at a fixed focus send them took bursts when there was a subject passing through.
    Dumb luck technique as opposed to anything optimal.
    Tooooo many settings and a lack of of detailed knowledge making it very hard to know what to change, for any given setup, or even to know what to attempt to set up in the first place.

Al

6. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    The move from the D90 to the D7200 will bring a significant boost in your image-making potential. The D90 was decidedly "old-school" in terms of the sensor, whereas the D7200 was, just a couple of years ago, the absolute state of the art as far as the APS-C sized sensor in the camera. You'll gain over two full stops' worth of dynamic range, as well as the ability to under-expose and then "lift" the shadows in post, to a degree that was simply impossible with the D90.

The Nikon SB800 is a very good flash unit. I use one. It's been very reliable and solidly-built. Good power too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. BrentC

BrentC Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    First of all the Martin pics aren't bad considering. Martins are fast and hard to get even with fast AF. Even your method of pre-focus would be hard to get good Martin shots so hats off. Its hard to comment because I cannot see the EXIF data on the photos so do not know what your camera settings are. Are you using Auto-ISO or manually setting? What metering? What editing did you do to the RAW file if any?
    I don't know the Nikon models well but you should be able to ditch the Pre-focusing and use AF with the D7200. But don't think AF is going to make getting Martins a whole lot easier. If this is your first subject trying bif you picked a very hard one.
    I think with these shots, putting aside the D90 limitations, your issue is with exposure.

Can you give all the camera settings for the martin photo?

8. ac12

ac12 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    In the spirit of walk before you run.
    Catching birds in flight is HARD for many/most people.
    And the faster more erratic they fly, the harder it will be to catch them in flight.
    Start with the slower predictable flyers, then as you get better move to the faster birds.

I would concentrate on them when perched, where it will be an easier shot.

As for camera
    The newer cameras have better Continuous AF than the older cameras.
    And predictive AF also.

I would go up to the D7500, rather than the D7200.
    The high ISO is 1 stop faster.
    And it works properly with the new AF-P lenses.
    The AF-P lenses can be used on the D7200, but you CANNOT turn the VR off, which you need to do when on a tripod.​

re flash
    Note that IF you use a flash you will only have ONE shot.
    It will take about 3-5 seconds for the flash to recycle, and the flying bird will be long gone by then.​

9. Dyslexicbloke

Dyslexicbloke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    From the gallery, click there image... as you did.

Now can pick the title to the right, top, and you will get a bigger view.
    scroll down, settings below, comment icons.

Clicking the image again will get you have full size pic... No settings in this view.

Silly interface if you ask me, hence Lickr account.

I know it's hard, believe me I know well, but then isnt that the point.
    Had I picked something easy I wouldn't be able to cut myself any slack !!

I don't bespectacled I will ever be a great photographer but I don't plan on letting that stop me trying and challenging myself seems like a reasonable way to get better.

Rawtherapee, also something I need to work on.

You are likely right RE exposure and I suspect I should be shooting wider and cropping more too.
    in addition I didn't know at the time about the sharpness sweet spot associated with The stop.
    I do now but I don't know what to do with that info or how to go about optimising settings for my kit... O wait, latest kit... More to learn.

I am pleased thought didn't think the manual pre focus and pray method wasn't entirely silly.
    That shot was at ISO 1000, because I was attempting too get as much depth of field as possible.

Just bought a blind too, perhaps closer will help.
    The little b......s will drink anywhere but where you focus if they can see you.
    I was sitting on a foot bridge and there was definitely less activity when I was there than when I was looking on from a distance.

Thasnks,
    Al

10. Dave442

Dave442 No longer a newbie, moving up!

I used my SB-600 and the Commander Mode to use it off-camera to have the flash closer to birds in the backyard. A pair of birds kept coming in to perch on same spot so I set the flash about 2.5 meters away at about 45 degrees from my position of 4.5 meters from the perch. Then it was just sitting still in a makeshift blind and waiting for them to stop by. I would not try BIF with flash.

11. Dyslexicbloke

Dyslexicbloke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    7500... That boat sailed I am afraid, 7200 it is.

Spent ages reading and thinking, finally decided, on Ballance, the 7200 was the one.
    7500 looks marginally better better, ISO noise wise, but has less resolution.
    Also saw plenty of comments about the 7500 being a mix of features from other kit as opposed to a well planned unit.

Decided to keep the extra few hundred quid to chuck at other stuff.

Perhaps I will regret that decision in time but however you stack it there are points ford and against both bodies with the only clear fact being trust both are FAR more capable than their 90.

The old me would have worried... Chilled me thinks it is what it is, it made sense at true time and I will roll with it.

Cheers,
    Al

Thasnks though.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dyslexicbloke

Dyslexicbloke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

BIF with flash... I think I agree with you but the Martin thing is more akin to the peach scinario.

I suspect AF isn't going too cut it anyway so if using MF at some point and waiting I still think flash may help. Although I take the one time exposure thing on board.

Will the SB-800 not do burst at lower output? given its strobe capability I thought it might.

Al