Flash Help

FDSA

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to get a new flash (on and off camera) for my canon rebel xsi, but i know nothing about flashes, or flash settings on my camera.

Can a shoe mount flash also be used off camera or do i need to buy both?

I want the off camera flash to be triggered wirelessly so what are the advantages of the different types of triggers?

What is ETTL?

i've done a little bit of searching but havn't found anything helpful yet.

Yes, you can use the same unit on camera or off.

E-TTL is Canon's auto flash metering. The flash fires a pre-flash with is metered Through The Lens by the camera. The camera then tells the flash how much power to use.

What is your budget? That might influence your choice of flash and trigger system.

If you haven't already, read this... Strobist Lighting 101

Not much more that can be said, except maybe to check out the Strobist Lighting 102. It's a really helpful series too.

Thanks that helps a lot!

is it possible to get a good flash and wireless trigger for under $200?

Last edited:
Ok im still a little confused about this. I was looking at radio triggers on gadget infinity and reading the descriptions i have no clue what the difference between each one is. im looking to use this setup for shooting BMX and in parking garages(see pic if this doesn't make sense) so it needs to have decent range, probably no more than 50 feet. i'm also still trying to find a good flash so if please make some suggestions.

24-1.jpg

/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\
imagine the possibilities if i did have a flash!

The canon wireless trigger is about 220 bucks so it's kind of expensive. You can get a cable that goes from the hot shoe to the flash and you can hold it where you want.

Cheap: Gadget Infinity*::*Digital Camera*::*Flash Trigger*::*4-Channel Wireless Flash Trigger V2s

Reliable: AlienBees: The CyberSync 2.4GHz Radio Remote Control system (You need to purchase the receiver and transmitter seperately so keep that in mind)

I'm planning on purchasing the Cactus triggers for the time being and use it with my Vivitar 285 HV..the only thing with this flash is that it is all manual..no ETTL so you have to decide which adjustments to make in your camera for a good exposure.

Here is the link to the flash I purchased..[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Vivitar-285HV-Auto-Professional-Flash/dp/B00004TVSP/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1231518576&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Vivitar 285HV Auto Professional Flash: Electronics[/ame]

I want to get a new flash (on and off camera) for my canon rebel xsi, but i know nothing about flashes, or flash settings on my camera.

Can a shoe mount flash also be used off camera or do i need to buy both?
Yes, you can use a Speedlite off camera. You can buy two and use one as a master on-camera flash and the other as the off-camera slave (do your homework before you buy...find out which model can be set to master and which ones are only slaves). Or you could use both (if you buy only 2 flashes) off-camera and trigger them with radio triggers.
I want the off camera flash to be triggered wirelessly so what are the advantages of the different types of triggers?
You can use the infrared type triggers (usually from the company who made the camera) but these are line-of-sight and can be tricky to set up.

You can use optical triggers that will cause a slave to flash when the master Speedlite fires. These are also line-of-sight but not as tricky to set up.

You can use radio triggers which are the most reliable and easiest to set up.
What is ETTL?
This is a good read if you want to learn about flash metering.
i've done a little bit of searching but havn't found anything helpful yet.
Off-camera flash: Strobist.com

On-camera flash: Flash Photography Techniques

Most reactions

New Topics

Back