Flash Help!

Dominik

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I am looking to buy a new flash (well two new flashes) My budget for each will be within $150 - $200 Canadian dollars! With this being said there are things I need in the flash. It needs a fast recycle time, can shoot in bursts, a decent amount of shots before overheating, and just be durable. I did not mention anything about TTL because I honestly don't care for TTL. I do everything manually and personally TTL just does not make me happy I like the feeling of getting nice exposure just by knowing what power the flash should be at. LCD screen does not matter either, but it would be a bit nicer!

I mainly shoot fast action sports so that is why I want a fast recycle time and burst shots so I can create sequences at night time!

I recently bought a Yongneu YN-560 III manual flash. Its $73 US dollars and seems to be a really good flash. It also has built in wireless. You can probably see alot of reviews if you google it.
I think the quality is really good for the price. I'm not sure how good it is for burst shooting, maybe you can find a review that talks about that.
Yongnuo YN-560 III Manual Flash with built-in 2.4GHz radio For Canon, Nikon with Diffuser cap | ThePhotoGadget.com - this seems to be a reputable web site that sells it (it may take a while though - from HK)

I have four YN-560 III flashes, and just tried it in burst mode, both on the camera and off camera using a YN-603 trigger in the camera's hot shoe.

I tested with my Canon 5DMKII in burst mode, and it seemed to work perfectly, firing the flash on every shot and keeping up with the camera's burst mode all the way. Review of the photos showed that it stayed in sync just fine and not a single frame was dark. I tried it at a few power levels, from 1/128 to 1/4 power, shooting 10-20 frames at each.

As advised by the instruction manual for the flash, I did not exceed 1/4 power when "rapid shooting". I also did not shoot until it overheated to see how far I could push it or how many shots I could take before its overheating protections kicked in and shut it down. I'll leave those types of tests for someone else.

It seems that the only difference between the YN-560 III and the older YN-560 II is that the III version has a built-in radio receiver for Yongnuo flash triggers.

So if you already have other triggers, you could save $15 per flash by going with the II version.

It seems that the only difference between the YN-560 III and the older YN-560 II is that the III version has a built-in radio receiver for Yongnuo flash triggers.

So if you already have other triggers, you could save $15 per flash by going with the II version.
That's true, but I'll just say this:

As someone who DOES have other triggers, the extra $15 to have the trigger built into the flash is worth every penny to me, and here's why:

• Fewer batteries to buy, recharge, store, maintain, haul, replace. Every external trigger requires them. In my case, two AAA's each.
  • Fewer components that have the potential to fail, either on their own or through user error, like
    • "oops - must've forgot to charge the batteries in the triggers - shoot's over", or...
    • "Oops - why isn't that one firing? Oh, I forgot to switch on the trigger under that flash!! Duh!!" or...
    • Fall potential. Some triggers, like the RF-603 that I use, don't have locking mechanisms, so they have to be gaff taped or Velcro'd after placement to ensure they don't accidentally fall out of the shoe they're in, unless that shoe has a locking mechanism to hold them. I've had them cause the trigger and flash to fall and crash onto the floor. Luckily, all components have survived the few times it's happened, and I've now learned not to trust them because of it (thus gaff tape and Velcro solutions), but it's just another thing that can go wrong.
  • Fewer components to store, carry, set up, break down, haul. Yes they're small, but "none" is still better.
  • Lower footprint. The triggers where the flash sits atop them in a hot shoe raise the flash by the thickness of the trigger, which pushes the flash further away from firing at the center of umbrellas and soft boxes.
  • That extra $15 per flash is FAR cheaper than most of the radio triggers on the market, especially the high end brand name triggers.

Last edited:
I have four YN-560 III flashes, and just tried it in burst mode, both on the camera and off camera using a YN-603 trigger in the camera's hot shoe.

I tested with my Canon 5DMKII in burst mode, and it seemed to work perfectly, firing the flash on every shot and keeping up with the camera's burst mode all the way. Review of the photos showed that it stayed in sync just fine and not a single frame was dark. I tried it at a few power levels, from 1/128 to 1/4 power, shooting 10-20 frames at each.

As advised by the instruction manual for the flash, I did not exceed 1/4 power when "rapid shooting". I also did not shoot until it overheated to see how far I could push it or how many shots I could take before its overheating protections kicked in and shut it down. I'll leave those types of tests for someone else.

That is really nice of you! Is it possible for the 560 to shoot past 1/200th or 1/250th? Is it able to have a high sync speed either on the mount or wirelessly?

That's true, but I'll just say this:

As someone who DOES have other triggers, the extra $15 to have the trigger built into the flash is worth every penny to me, and here's why:

• Fewer batteries to buy, recharge, store, maintain, haul, replace. Every external trigger requires them. In my case, two AA's each.
  • Fewer components that have the potential to fail, either on their own or through user error, like
    • "oops - must've forgot to charge the batteries in the triggers - shoot's over", or...
    • "Oops - why isn't that one firing? Oh, I forgot to switch on the trigger under that flash!! Duh!!" or...
    • Fall potential. Some triggers, like the RF-603 that I use, don't have locking mechanisms, so they have to be gaff taped or Velcro'd after placement to ensure they don't accidentally fall out of the shoe they're in, unless that shoe has a locking mechanism to hold them. I've had them cause the trigger and flash to fall and crash onto the floor. Luckily, all components have survived the few times it's happened, and I've now learned not to trust them because of it (thus gaff tape and Velcro solutions), but it's just another thing that can go wrong.
  • Fewer components to store, carry, set up, break down, haul. Yes they're small, but "none" is still better.
  • Lower footprint. The triggers where the flash sits atop them in a hot shoe raise the flash by the thickness of the trigger, which pushes the flash further away from firing at the center of umbrellas and soft boxes.
  • That extra $15 per flash is FAR cheaper than most of the radio triggers on the market, especially the high end brand name triggers.

I am also going to be purchasing the Yongnuo yn-662n flash trigger! If I bought the 560 III would that mean I don't need to buy more receivers?

I am also going to be purchasing the Yongnuo yn-662n flash trigger! If I bought the 560 III would that mean I don't need to buy more receivers?
The 560 III works with YN-602 and YN-603 triggers. I don't know that it will work natively with any others.

That is really nice of you! Is it possible for the 560 to shoot past 1/200th or 1/250th? Is it able to have a high sync speed either on the mount or wirelessly?
The shutter speed sync is a function of the camera - the flash doesn't care what that is, to my knowledge. It does not have high speed sync capabilities, though there is at least one other flash model from Yongnuo, the YN-568 EX, that does have high speed sync capability. It is more expensive, and I don't think it has built in triggers.

As mentioned, flash sync limits are a function of the camera, more than the flash.

HSS (Canon) or Auto FP (Nikon) are tied to TTL functionality.

HSS (Canon) or Auto FP (Nikon) are tied to TTL functionality.
That said, let's be clear: Having TTL capability does not mean the flash will have HSS or Auto FP capability.

For example, in addition to the four YN-560 III flashes discussed above, I also have two YN-565EX flashes. Those two YN-565EX flashes DO have TTL capability, but DO NOT have HSS or Auto FP capability.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back