Flash lighting support suggestions

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well tripods macro and me just don't get along - at least with the camera end. However I increasingly find that I want a light, stable and easily adjustable lighting support to hold the flash head in place for me whilst I concentrate on shooting. Idealy something that not just holds the flash upright, but allows for a side arm (ie so the flash can be both vertical and horizontal and also held out away from the legs).

Up till now I've used the Manfrotto 055XPROB to do this job, but whilst it works well its a very heavy setup and certainly overkill for what I need (since at persent the only flash lighting I have that I need this for is the 580EX2 and a small softbox).

I thought of that, but I'm not always at a low height - and its even more a trouble for the higher hights infact where I need more dedication to keeping steady and can't perch the flash on something nearby.

What is the British equivalent of baling wire and tape???

I use LumoPro light stands... they've got a whole modular system so you can build up whatever configuration you want. I've never worked with the manfrotto stuff, but the LumoPro seems plenty sturdy for speedlights, and it's like 1/3 the price.

The only problem with lightstands is that most I've seen have low set legs or higher legs, but with support lines lower down. The result is that whilst great on a flat studio surface they are not going to be that ideal out in the field where there are roots/unstable surfaces and more to get in the way.

As for wire and tape that can work - but not if I've nothing to tape/wire the flash too - ie relies upon there already being something attach it too and its the something I'm after (that is also lighter than a full on tripod ;) )

*goes through garys' links*

Most reactions

New Topics

Back