Please provide more information. Some of the questions that we now have to ask:Help please!
Here are a few more details... It is mounted on the camera, since my understanding of the flash is basic I haven't played with the settings much, just shooting in ETTL. It is a newer Canon flash, so I don't think it is wear and tear. I do rapid fire sometimes, so some of the problem is probably the recharge & I notice it's getting hot...how many seconds should I give it? I'm using Kirkland AA batteries, is there a better option...and how do I know when to replace the batteries is there a typical time frame they last? And my in camera settings were 800 ISO, 5 aperture, 100 shutter speed.I am newer to working with a flash, but have a ton of misfires as I shoot an event. I typically use a 600 ex-rt with a 70-200 zoom lens. Are there specific settings within the flash that I may not be aware of? Help please!
Ideally, the flash should not be allowed to overheat, meaning that if it does, you could do serious damage to the flash. Some flashes have a "safety cutout" which is designed to stop the flash if there is danger of overheating. I'm guessing that your flash is getting too hot, and needs to "take a break".I do rapid fire sometimes, so some of the problem is probably the recharge & I notice it's getting hot...how many seconds should I give it?