What's new

Flash, or lense?

zeto88

TPF Noob!
Joined
Dec 23, 2009
Messages
167
Reaction score
0
Location
Australia
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
" Oh no, not another noob asking questions that have been posted before. "
Shutup. ;)
I was just wondering, if you were new to photography, already had a 'Nikon D90 - VR Kit 18-55 and 70-300mm', would you purchase first, a SB-600 speedlight, or a 50mm f/1.8 or 50mm f/1.4.
Also, let's pretend you want to mostly do portraits or macro shots.
So again, what would you purchase?
 
I am new to photography and kind of have the same decision to make and I am going for the flash. I think I am going to get the SB400 though
 
I would definitely go for the SB 600 flash unit. That flash, paired with the 70-300 would allow you to shoot some nice portraits. The 50 is not much of a macro or close-up lens, it really is not; the 70-300 with a high-quality, two-element closeup lens like the Canon 500D, which threads onto the filter threads, would be the best close-up system for the lenses you already own.

The SB 600 with the 18-55 kit zoom will make indoor photography much easier. You don't need another lens--you need a quality flash unit.
 
For the price of the 50mm f/1.4 you can pretty much pay for the 50mm f/1.8 lens AND a flash.
 
Last edited:
flash.
u can have the best lens in the world, but if you don't have photons to throw at the sensor, lens means nothing :)
 
to Darkhunter139.. that 200mm lens fits on ur camera .. i thought nikond40 some lens dont fit on hte d40
 
Flash
emoticon_unconcerned.gif
 
I would also go for the flash. For the price of the 50, you can probably drop down to the sb400 and get the lens as well.
 
I'm not too sure if I'd want the SB-400.
Bouncing the flashes seems like too much fun!
 
If you are aiming for macro work in the future then I assume you are going to plug for a dedicated macro lens at some point - and when you do you will need to start understanding and controling your lighting a lot more - and for that a very good start is a regular speedlight flash. So I will also say go for the flash - its something that can be (and chances are you will be) used in almost every area of photography - from being a dominant light source to just a little bit of fill.
 
I'm not too sure if I'd want the SB-400.
Bouncing the flashes seems like too much fun!
You can bounce the SB-400. It just doesn't have much power and cannot be triggered optically while off the camera like an SB-600 can.
 
Gotta go for the Flash. It will add some much more to the lenses you already have.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom