Flash or no flash? C&C

Yeah, mixing both FTW. The best way is to treat the settings like you're not using a flash - high ISO and wide aperture and slowish shutter speed (in manual mode) and use your hotshoe flash on TTL mode, maybe backed off 2/3 stop or so. That way the ambient light makes up the bulk of the exposure and the flash decides how much light is needed to bring it up to a 'proper' exposure. You still get the stage lighting look and feel but you get nicely exposed faces and as village idiot says, less chance of blowing a single channel out.

That was my problem then. When I did use flash, I went the other way with settings, dropped ISO, upped the shutter speed and went to a smaller aperture.

Then your flash has to shoot almost full power everytime. Your recycle time is slow and the battery drains so fast. Just shoot it the same way you were shooting for ambient light and set the flash to ETTL, you are set.

Yeah, mixing both FTW. The best way is to treat the settings like you're not using a flash - high ISO and wide aperture and slowish shutter speed (in manual mode) and use your hotshoe flash on TTL mode, maybe backed off 2/3 stop or so. That way the ambient light makes up the bulk of the exposure and the flash decides how much light is needed to bring it up to a 'proper' exposure. You still get the stage lighting look and feel but you get nicely exposed faces and as village idiot says, less chance of blowing a single channel out.

That was my problem then. When I did use flash, I went the other way with settings, dropped ISO, upped the shutter speed and went to a smaller aperture.

I really like the second shot. I don't do band photos cause frankly I don't go out a lot (Mom of two with, like, 8 million jobs!) but both my brother and sister in law are singers/in a band. The pictures they seem to like are the ones that are just lit by the stage lights. If you can get a great venue with some great stage lights then you can get some great shots!

Yeah, I'm interested in trying out shooting in some other venues and see how it comes out. So far I've only shot two shows and both were in the same place and it was very dark. My friend that's in the band liked how they came out and wants me to take pictures at more shows so I'm sure I'll get the opportunity.

I honestly like the "Flash" one better because you can see all of the colors in the outfit he is wearing, you should remove the lense hood from your camera so the shadow won't show :)

I honestly like the "Flash" one better because you can see all of the colors in the outfit he is wearing, you should remove the lense hood from your camera so the shadow won't show :)

Umm...I was not using a lens hood.

Most reactions

Back