Flash or no?

gender bombs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Okay. Im trying to decide. This weekend, my friends band and some other bands are playing a show in a basement. The lighting is going to be dim and maybe some colored lights. Should I use my flash for every picture, let my camera set the aperture and shutter speed on its own, or just set everything myself. What would you suggest? Sorry if this is a dumb question, Id appreciate replys. Thank you.

gender bombs said:
let my camera set the aperture and shutter speed on its own,
nope.

gender bombs said:
or just set everything myself.
usually the best way.

gender bombs said:
Should I use my flash for every picture,
depends on the 'look' you are after.

what camera do you have? without flash you will have to up the ISO in a dim environment to get a blur free image, coupled with a fast lens (f2.8 or smaller number)

If it is dim, you will probably need to. Try using combination of environmental light and your flash.

I have a fast lens, and my camera is a Minolta x-700. The look I was going for is jsut a nice, clear not too dark not too light picture.

Depends really what you're going for.
When I photograph bands indoors I use flash. You can also try techniques for getting color streaks and shots with movement, set a slow shutter speed, (1/30, 1/15, 1/8), and fire your flash off camera at the same time as the shutter. Can bring some interesting shots.
If you want some crisp looking shots, look up what your flash sync. on your camera is, and set it there. Usually it's 1/60. Mess around with some settings, let the camera do it, then set it yourself, do whatever. Just know your camera, and know it well. And the most important thing is get close. I repeat, get close as possible. Shots from far away are usually utterly boring.

Ive done bands before, I was jsut double checking. Thanks for all of your help everyone.

brring your flash !
at least can be a fill , also u can play some cool effect with your flash (e.g. slow shutter speed with flash)

Okay...my flash says "Winder Sync" and then it has the choice Lo or Hi. Which should I choose?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back