Flash overpowering

Kofman13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm getting the hang of using my monolights in dark rooms. But in daylight or in combination with lights already in locations I have problems. The problem is that my lights over power everything. My subject is lit well but the surroundings are either very dark or black even In a lit room.
If I move the light back or turn down to the lowest setting, the subject is lit strangely and too little.
All I want in daylight is everything to look the same, but with added fill light from my light. But the lights throw everything off. I don't have this problem when bouncing light on an opposite wall or ceiling.

You might try a flash diffuser. It softens the light considerably, but not so much as bouncing the light does. I believe a softbox diffuses the light even farther. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

It's not the softness. Maybe it's camera settings... I'll look for examples. I usually delete all bad photos. I use soft box and umbrella I don't think it's the problem

maybe try a slower shutter speed to let some of the ambient light in after your flash goes off. i dont really know i havent tried using lights outdoor yet.

or.. if you have a light meter.. meter the ambient light and then meter your lights to the same f/stop maybe?? im just throwing stuff out there. im actually pretty curious as to how this works out..

ugh.... i guess i need a light meter FOR SURE. some people said its a nice thing to have but not a MUST

expose for the ambient then bring the lights in...

if it's still too hot at minimum settings then use a smaller aperture + long shutter speed until it works

You need "Light: Science and Magic". This will teach you how to light without a meter.

do i really need a $279 sekonic meter?
would this do the job? im really on a tight TIGHT budget, waiting on a little bit of pay from some gigs that could benefit tremendously from better lighting..
Interfit Flash Meter INT410 - B&H Photo Video

No you don't. I posted that one simply as an example. I would look on Craig's List and eBay for a good used one rather that the Interfit you posted. It might do the job, but the quality looks suspect to me.

Most reactions

Back