Flash question, Nikon D5200 - Sunpak flash

MrSweck

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm new in this and have just bought my first digital system camera, a Nikon D5200. In a closet I have had my old system camera lying for years, a Nikon EM. On that camera I used a Sunpak Auto 244D Thyristor flash.
Since I'm not a rich man I had to accept the fact that the D5200's own flash would have to be the main character for a while, until I had the money for a flash to it. Now I wonder if this Sunpak flash can be used on the D5200... such an old flash on such a new camera?

Skickat från min SM-P600 via Tapatalk

Two issues: High trigger voltage (+34v) and no way to manually adjust power, so, unfortunately you'd need a safe-sync adapter just to use it, and even then you'd have no ability to control output. There are lots of inexpensive units such as those by Nissin and Yongnuo which will be much mroe suitable.

Thank you for the quick reply and thank you also for your product tips. I will check those ones out.

Now I wonder if this Sunpak flash can be used on the D5200...
If you mean in the camera hotshoe, then check online for a website that lists compatibility between components. Actually, I have used a non-matching flash on my camera, but I'm kinda reckless in that regard.

If you don't mind the limited power adjustment on the Sunpak, you can still use it fired remotely. Just get a pair of radio-frequency transceivers (you were going to anyway, right?) and fire the Sunpak that way. If the flash is too much, move it back away from your subject until you get the right amount of light.

Now I wonder if this Sunpak flash can be used on the D5200...
If you mean in the camera hotshoe, then check online for a website that lists compatibility between components. Actually, I have used a non-matching flash on my camera, but I'm kinda reckless in that regard.

If you don't mind the limited power adjustment on the Sunpak, you can still use it fired remotely. Just get a pair of radio-frequency transceivers (you were going to anyway, right?) and fire the Sunpak that way. If the flash is too much, move it back away from your subject until you get the right amount of light.

I meant in the hot shoe. Most in this field is still over my head, so I can't say if I mind a limited power adjustment or if I was going to get a pair of radio-frequency transceivers... until I know what it means. Two weeks ago I was still on Auto mode with the little family camera. It's not an overstatement when I say that I'm "new in this". :)

You want to be safe with your expensive camera, so try to ascertain if the Sunpak flash will harm your camera by consulting this table:

Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

There are several makes of RF transceivers, ranging from inexpensive to fairly expensive. I have a few Pocket Wizards, which are the highest cost items, but there are cheaper ones available.

Last edited:
As to the limited power range; the modern iTTL Speedlights (is: nikon brand) have a range of power settings that can be set manually or automatically.

The Sunpak probably has "high" and "low", so not much of a choice in light output.

No help with the Sunpak but, I just received a Yongnuo YN568EX for my 5200. So far it is working out well and was purchased via Amazon for 104.00. The Yongnuo flash is generally well reviewed and is far less expensive than a Nikon. Just some food for thought.

Thank you all for your replies to my question. A 'yes' would have helped me to feel safe about doing it, but since I got so much around it that only makes me feel insecure, it has still helped me to decide what to do. I will go for a flash that I am SURE is compatible with my camera. It doesn't have to be a "major league" one and I'm not a stranger to buy used products either, so it doesn't have to mean a big hole in my wallet.

Thank you all for your replies to my question. A 'yes' would have helped me to feel safe about doing it, but since I got so much around it that only makes me feel insecure, it has still helped me to decide what to do. I will go for a flash that I am SURE is compatible with my camera. It doesn't have to be a "major league" one and I'm not a stranger to buy used products either, so it doesn't have to mean a big hole in my wallet.

Better to be safe than sorry, as the old saying goes.

I'd give it a go and see how it works on your D5200.
The moderately high 34Volt trigger voltage is not a problem as Nikon cameras are designed to safely handle a positive trigger voltage of up to 250 volt. Since the flash unit was designed to work with older Nikon cameras there is a good chance it will work reasonably well with your D5200.
If you need a manual for your flash you can get one at http://www.cameramanuals.org/flashes_meters/sunpak_244d.pdf

Most reactions

Back