flash remote triggers and remote shutter releases

Charliedelta

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm looking at some flashes for a d7100. MY major priority is being able to use it off camera, and it's my understanding that I'd be better off with a radio controller (rather than going light of sight). but here comes my first problem. I'm new to flash photography and although I am very willing to learn the manual mode, chances are I'd mess up, and I'd be better off with something that uses TTL, so I thought about the sb700. I did some reasearch but all the radio triggers that I found that would allow TTL are the pocket wizards and would cost an arm and a leg. If I got something cheaper, it would not allow me to go TTL so there'd be no point for me of purchasing the sb700, and would go with a yongnuo. Do you know any remote trigger that woldn't be too expensive and that would still allow me to go TTL?

on a separate note, I haven't bought it for this camera yet, but for another camera I own a vello remote shutter release (not for the flash), which I love. if I bought it for the d7100, could i still use it in combination with the radio controller?

thanks

If you are going to use a flash off camera putting it in TTL defeats the purpose of having a controllable light source. It's easy to learn the manual flash. 1/1 is the most light and 1/128 is the lowest.

You would have to check but I know with most Nikons you can use the "commander" mode which uses preflashes to trigger remote flashes. It's a cheap way around using radios but it does have the limitation of range and needing to be line of sight.

The SB-700 works with Nikon's Creative Lighting System, meaning it has an infrared trigger built in. You can trigger it with the camera's pop-up Speedlight. Set the camera's pop-up to commander mode and set the SB-700 to remote mode. Until you master flash basics, why spend money on a radio trigger? The CLS will work fine in most situations. Beginners focus too much on equipment. Focus on skills. The equipment will come when your skills demand it. If you need more flash help, PM me.

The SB700 will work great with the commander mode your camera offers (complete with TTL). The line of site is really only an issue if you're shooting outdoors in my experience but there are some cases where you could have trouble indoors. I would highly recommend starting with the SB700 and the camera's commander mode while your learning and then move on from there.

As far as remote shutter releases, I would look into the YN-603 for Nikon. It has been extremely reliable for me and the 2.4 Ghz wireless means you don't have to try and aim something at the camera!

For a TTL wireless setup, look into the Phottix Odins. They do 3 group, off camera TTL using 2.4 Ghz (and, yes, they can be used with the above remote shutter!) as well as manual functionality that can all be controlled from the transmitter. I have found them to be extremely useful and very reliable!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back